Ohio river (markland /meldahl pool)

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tocold4u2, May 26, 2006.

1. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    me and a fellow member bigones will be hitting the ohio river sunday , in serch of trophy cats . i almost finished rigging the pontoon " 1 twisted kat" with driftmaster rod holders , as well as a new humminbird fish finder, i will be taking along the drift socks and give that a try . hopefully the water won`t be too high,,,i haven`t been down to the big river in 3 years , maybe the locals would share a few hints or area`s to fish ?? hopefully we can get some great pictures and post them for everyone to see.
    :smile2:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    where you launching at, i have been fishing alot of old barges, and sunken trees, and been tearing them up...the river should be in good shap, you can call the dam and get the scoop on the water levels though

3. fish-n-fool

fish-n-fool New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I've fished out of New Richmond & Moscow a couple times this month - anywhere from all the way down river to the confluence of the Little Miami to upriver to near the dam.

I've done well on channel cats up to 14 lbs & even managed a few Blues 10-15 lbs, only got 2 flats; both little boogers, maybe 2-4 lbs.

Check the creek mouths and even up in the bigger creeks a ways if the water is up (Indian creek by point pleasant holds some fish when the water gets up). Also, go along the channel edge and watch your depth finder. Any place you find a nice gravel / sand bar forming an eddy near the channel edge give it a shot for 15-20 minutes. I did real well last time out on a couple spots like this for channels (even caught a sauger just by chance).
    As usual, if nothing shows itself within 20 minutes pull up and head to the next spot.

Try the old lock and dams too; there have been a few nice fish caught off #35 on the Kentucky side. Be careful and watch for the submerged lock ties - they can get ya if the water is low.

Good luck!

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I mainly fish the Indiana area, but for years I have fished the area that Lance is talking about, this Sunday morning I'll have my son in law and two of my Grandkids on board my boat, going to launch out of Schmidit field as I want to fish the downtown area and work my way down to Anderson's Ferry, they have never been on the river so they are really pumped up, I'll be in a Black and Tan Smokercraft boat that has " HookedonCatfish.com" on the side of it if you see me feel free to roll up and say hi.

With it being sunny and 86 for that day the bite should be hot during the morning hours and that part of the river is like glass that early, lots of spots to hit in the downtown area and the channel cats have been on fire for a couple of weeks now feeding up for there spawn, target any and all wood that you see is visable or anything that you find on the depthfinder also any creeks that have water rolling in can be real hot right now, normally I hunt for those trophy fish but this weekend it will be for anything once we get on a few fish and that gets there attention then I'll take the time to try and put them on a bragging size fish, I'll post pictures on here and my website if we do well, also if you fish the New Richmond area make a vist to the tubes just below the old lock and dam...............Doc

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    Here's a good link to help you with river levels, so you can check 'em before you go.

http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/index.php?wfo=iln

:0a26:

6. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Currently the baits of choice are fresh cut Shad or frozen skipjack and live Gills in the 3-4 inch range, I was hoping that the rain we got would have gotten that river rolling along but the link FatKat posted shows it barely above 26.5 and that is just real mild current, I like the river when you drop the anchor buckets over the side that just snap back away from the boat and it takes 6 oz. of lead to hold your baits down on the bottom, the Flatheads are taking there sweet time of turning on but when there biting you can get them most anywhere on the river, find an underwater snag and your going to be on some fish for a while............Doc

7. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    thanks dock and to the others for the tips and info . we`ll be using shad , skipjack and gills ,,,,we`re trying for the big boys ,,,,,we`ll see how it goes . we`ll be in a older 24` pontoon ,most likely . if not then we`ll be in a nitro bass boat . i just finished some new rodholders , hopefully i get to test them sunday .

8. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    hey doc , is there some nice holes in that area, i usually fished the meldahl dam and a few places down from the dam. i`ll be fishing the ohio river more , now that i have a big cozy pontoon to relax on . i figured i`ll fish the ohio river till mid july then concentrate on indian lake for the 3 day cat tournament .
    if we see you out there we`ll stop and say hey !!
    you can`t miss my pontoon it say`s " 1 twisted kat " on it !!
    :lol:

9. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    tocold4u2,

Yes there is we fished a lot of tournaments in that area from 1994 till around 1999 all of them were out of Schmidit ramp, good water thats deep and lots of wood in the area, and those restraunts downtown are magnets for sumo Channel cats, patrons toss wings, fries and chips into the water and those fish wait around for breakfast, in which I serve them up humongus portions of fresh cut Shad and skipjack.

I'll look for your pontoon, your more than welcome to shadow me all day long be advised I move every 30 min. if I'm not boating fish. But I can show you a ton of places to fish from the little Miami down to Anderson's Ferry.

If I can get these youngins on the move I plan to be there by 7am in the morning...............Doc

10. tocold4u2

tocold4u2 New Member

State:
    ohio
    sounds like we should be at the ramp around the same time , as long as everything goes well, i should be down in dayton around 5 :30 to get bigones, as long as the pontoon trailers fine we shoud be at the ramp around that time. we`re looking for flatheads and blues .
    it sounds like you been fishing the cat tournaments on the ohio alot!!
    with all the food being tossed out, i bet the channel are like sharks ,lol
    i have to take the toon today over to ft larmie today to make a test run with it,hopefully all goes well:crazy:
    i`ll c ya on the water !!