Ohio River Madison

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by IndyCatGuy, Oct 21, 2009.

1. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Me and a few friends are going to be fishing Saturday and Sunday at Madison. Should be at the ramp by about 6:30 or 7AM. Does anyone know if the barge is still at the discharge? And if so, any ideas for bait around there? I usually cast net the marina. Thanks in advance for any help.

P.S. Saturday is my son's 19th birthday and all he wanted to do was go fishing...didnt have to twist my arm for that one! :smile2:

2. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Scott,
    I just fished down there yesterday and that barge was not up in the discharge but just below it a bit. As far as bait, the marina is your best bet, should be plenty of shad there. Just a heads up, I found the bite to be very slow. I fished for seven hours and only caught three fish, 2 channels and 1 blue nothing over 10 pounds. Ross

P.S. We have a tourney out of Rising Sun on Saturday morning if you would be interested. Your entry fee would be 25 being a non member should be a good time. Time of tourney 9am-4pm

3. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    Anyone up for fishing near Madison? It's my last chance to fish for awhile. :embarassed:

4. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    well scott! wheres it going to be, sounds like its still on.

5. Jeremy Leach

Jeremy Leach New Member

State:
    Madison In
    We are going to get some rain Friday night so you should be able to get some good bait out of the ash pound dis-charge. The ash dis-charge is just down from the last set of barge tie offs below the power plant along the bank. When water is coming out there should be bait there as well. Good luck Scott and let us know how you do.

6. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Cool...thanks for the info guys!! Ross..I would love to fish that tourney, but I dont know the Rising Sun area very well at all. I will make it to one someday.

We decided to stay at a motel down there Saturday night so that we can fish again Sunday all day. Hope to maybe see some folks down there!

7. BIGCATFISH64

BIGCATFISH64 New Member

State:
    Muncie,Indiana
    Better get a reservation at one of the motels before you go down we went to Madison a couple weeks ago and there wasn't a room to be found in the whole town! Good luck this weekend!

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Already got it..I knew that it would be busy this weekend. Thanks for the wishes.

9. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    thought about going sat myself scott. Not sure yet but if i do i'll let you no. If not hope you guys do great.

10. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Scott,
    I talked to Max a friend of mine who fished Madison today and he said that it was a desert as far as bait goes and the bite was steady but no big ones. He said that he didnt have much luck in the marina getting bait so maybe like Jeremy said try the lower discharge. It seems its either feast or famine in that area. Good luck if you go, Ross.

11. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey scott it takes fifteen minutes if that to run from rising sun to lawrenceburg. So all because you launch in rising sun doesnt mean you cant get back up to lawrenceburg and fish in some waters that you have fished before

12. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Would like to see ya again Kevin!! Been too long!

13. afishpatrol

afishpatrol New Member

State:
    indiana
    the only thing i can say is what a brutal day on the river, as someone posted before, bait was realy tough to find for starts, did manage enough to get us through the day but realy had to work to get them.
    we started off trying to tag on some sauger but with the river as muddy as it was lock jaw was the only thing on thier mind. moving on to the blues an hour later, the results started out the same. starting at a 50' plus hole with 3 people fishing from my boat and no hits, after about 1.5 hrs we moved to some near by flats with lots of wood, within 10 minuts we landed our first blue, a dink of around 8-10 lbs, hopscotched around the flats and managed 2 more about the same size. on the way back to the ramp we stopped at a verry pronouced point in the river to get a break fron the 4+ foot white caps greeting us head on. set a couple lines out and within about 15 minuts i hooked up on a small flathead at about 12-14 . lb range. despit the slow bite, wind, rain and waves i think everyone had a good time.

14. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    had a great time Andy! It was brutal to say the least. Sunday was no better fishing. 2 small channels was all we had to show, but at least we caught a few skippies.

15. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    where did yea end up catching the skipjack at think im headed down there next week for a couple days during the week think i mite take the lady and do some drifting. Did you guys trying doing any drifting we had a couple caught drifting last time we fished the tournament down there. just curious?

16. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Caught the skippies at the power plant discharge..but they were small. We tried drifting too, but Im not real good at it yet. How fast do you guys go when you drift? My speedometer was showing 1.2mph...is that too fast?

17. Camo Fish

Camo Fish New Member

State:
    United States
    1.2 MPH is a good drift but don't be afraid to crank it up a little more. I drag as much as 3 mph with the nose of the boat downriver pulling baits behind the boat 100' with a 4oz pencil sinker and 4' hook leader. That actually was a Striper presentation that was working better for Blue's found by "happenstance" so try new things...you never know what might work drifting.

18. crazyjet1

crazyjet1 New Member

State:
    Indiana

really that seems a little fast to me ive read alot about the drifting thing and to me its all a preference thing i think ive heard you can go as fast as 4 and 5 miles and hour but me personaly i like to nose my boat into the current and slow myself down as much as possible. Some guys say faster is better but i seem to do better slower my favorite speed to drift is .2 to .8 miles an hour and i like to hold and bounce one down behind the boat with baby sinkers on it to have one that goes faster and a different presentation than the other ones. thats my two cents.

Thanks for letting me know you caught a couple skips there imas give it a try next time im there.