Ohio river, Louisville area.

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by Powerbuilt, May 28, 2008.

1. Powerbuilt

Powerbuilt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Hello,
    I'm a pretty avid angler and was wanting a bit of advice. I fish all over the area and there are very few lakes around here that cost less then $150 in gas to get to. Well I never really considered fishing right here in my home ton on Louisville. I have an aluminum Tracker (16') and was wondering about taking it out on the Ohio river. To be honest, I don’t even know where to put in at to get on the Ohio. I have caught some big cats in my day but primarily on jugs. I was wondering if any Louisville residents were on here, and what marina they use.

Also, if the fishing actually any good on the Ohio river? I mean, in general. None of my friends (even that live here) ever fish on it so that may be an indication on how well it produces fish.

To be honest, we have very poor fishing here.
    Taylorsville Lake: Fished out Your lucky to even get Blue Gill That weigh more then 6oz. fished all night for cats and pulled in two. One five pound and one 1/2 pound.

Nolin Lake: fished out and far too much traffic plus a bad shad problem. I have fished every part of this lake for Cats and the ONLY ones I ever get are not when I'm cat fishing, but when crappie fishing and get one on a minnow. I also hit it for crappie and it's poor at best. I happen to have a few hidden spots that I can hit to pull a dozen keepers, but the only reason I get those is because I hit the lake so much I happen to get lucky and find some hidden structure.

Patoka Lake: It's an OK lake for armatures. I was there Sunday and pulled in close to 180 bluegill, but only 5 worth keeping and they were questionable. The big females were of the beds I think, but then again, I never did any better when they were supposed to be on their beds. DNR stopped me and checked me. He told me that ever boat had pretty much empty live wells except for kids keeping small bluegill. Even during the spawn, crappie average 1-2 inches below the legal limit size. Tournament bass fisherman will fish it hard all night and only half of them ever catch one big enough to turn in.

I need a new place to fish bad. and anymore, I can justify spending 100$ in gas (truck, 30$ in gas for the boat, 15$ in bait just to land one keeper so I need someplace closer like the Ohio but where do I put in, and is it even worth the time?

Thanks,
    Clay

2. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    Clay, Welcome to the BOC from Eastern Kentucky. Sorry I can't help you with a location but there will be members on here that can.

3. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Man you are near one of the countries best rivers period. Learn the Ohio , get a map that shows you your boat ramps. Your 16' boat will handle her. I myself just drove up to Shepardsville KY. one day and started asking the nice folks there where to go. They did so and i've been going to her ever sense.:big_smile:

4. Ruger 454

Ruger 454 Member

State:
    LaGrange Kentucky
    Welcome to the B.O.C.I have only lived in KY. for less than a year and have enjoyed fishing the Ohio.I have got a couple flats over 30 lb and lots of smaller cats I fish out of westport so I dont know the ramps in town.I have a 16 ft jon all set up for cat fishing if ya want pm me and we will hit the river.

5. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Excellent fishing in the Ohio river in your own back yard. Go down to West Point (salt river) and launch your boat at the local ramp there (over by the civil war park). When you enter the big O, turn right and go up to the warm water discharge byt he electric plant. Catch all the bait you will need here. I have even had good success drifting this same area. But for the big fish, go down river. Once you pass the Salt river where you launched, Keep going until you hit the outside bend at Otter Creek. This is about 5 miles. The main channel (fishing hole) here is about 40-60 ft deep and goes on for about 400 meters. Huge blues are available here. I watched a guy pull an 83 pound blue out of there last year. My best in this hole is only 24 pounds. Good luck and let us know how you do.

6. Powerbuilt

Powerbuilt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Awsome info dude! What do use for bait? I have heard of guys using different stuff. Myself, I'll cast net for shad (very easy) or hope to snag a few skipjacks with a turbo tail white grub.

Awsome info dude! What do use for bait? I have heard of guys using different stuff. Myself, I'll cast net for shad (very easy) or hope to snag a few skipjacks with a turbo tail white grub.

I appreciate all your help guys. Very nice. I'll even IM a few of you guys if ya wanna go with me, or I can tag along with ya. Most of my friends are UNRELIABLE at best.
    Get this. I hooked up my boat at 4:30Am. Me and a buddy were going to Kentucky lake for the bluegill spawn about three weeks ago. I pulled my boat down to E-town. He was supposed to meet me there at 5:30am so we could be on the lake by 8am. He didn't show and finally called me about 6:15 am then showed up at 7am. Because he was so late, we ended up going to Patoka and catching about 150 tini bluegill.

This is VERY common. Three friends and me were to go to Kentucky lake and two canceled out the day before and one showed up very late. Trust me, I'm a good guy that’s VERY easy to hang with. I'm about 35 years old. I just need to have a fishing buddy that I go fishing with. It would be nice having one that can actually use a trolling motor, knows how to drag the back anchor so the boat is positioned right and can bait their own hook.. lol

Heck, I pay for everything and my girlfriend always packs us food! All they ever have to do is show up with a fishing license. I have 20+ rods, a killer rig on my board, planer boards for Stripers, a home made-insulated bait well, cast nets, 8+ heavy rods (cats and stripers) and mounted drift king pole holders all the way around the boat. I hit Alabama (Weiss for crappie spawn in April) Reelfoot.. you name it.

OHHH!! You guys wanna catch some MONSTER cats. Go down to Lake Weiss in AL during the crappie spawn. Put out a dozen jugs or so in Riverside camp area. I put mine in 8-10 feet of water. After a day of Crappies, put the heads on decent size standard hook. I ALWAYS get at least one over 50. Last year I got 2-60+ pound channel cats. And even though they are big, the meat is not nasty tasting. I think this year I caught 2 15 pound and one 35 pound.

7. Powerbuilt

Powerbuilt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ohh just a little about me:
    I'm a master diver. I dive out of Louisville dive center. I have dived just about every reef and wreck in Florida, Cozumel, Ohio Rios, Bahamas, and Jamaica.
    I'm also an amateur body builder. I'm not super huge or anything. I'm registered as an NPC Heavyweight and tip the scaled at 265 pounds in the off season and 225+/- during competitions. I like to eat so I hold an extra 40 pounds during the off season but still work out about two times a day. I do power lifting but loose in competition bad cause I'm so heavy and power lifting goes by weight class too. I'm trained by Blair Mone (http://blairmone.net/) and have lifted with Porter Cotrell (took 5th in Mr. Universe during the late 80's)
    Ohh and I love to fish.. lol

Right now I’m a network Engineer for a company and I help Network admins all over the world (Mostly army overseas) troubleshoot complex environmental issues when they can’t figure them out. I do it all remotely so I only put in 40 hour work week.

Man, sounds like I'm trying to get a date.. LAMO.. I just though it would be really cool to have some buddies on here cause I have the same passion you guys do.

8. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Clay, come on down to West Point!! It cost $3.00 per day to put in on The Salt River or you can pay $30.00 for the entire year. This helps to pay for the upkeep of the dock, grounds and restroom. There is always someone at the dock 24/7 which makes it really nice. Good ramp too ; you can use your cast net and catch all of the Shad you will need. When you put in, go towards your right a bit, if you do not see any, go back up towards the Ohio and there are usually big schools the closer you get to the bridge. From there, good fishing from 20 to 40 ft out from the park in West Point. Last year I was more successful fishing on the IN side going down river. Before you get to Otter Creek, on the IN side is the old Dam House 144. This is my favorite location 20-30 ft out from the shore. My advantage, I live in West POint with the River in my front yard. There was a 80# Blue caught from the bank about 4 yrs ago and a 50# 3 yrs ago. Fishing has been slow with the River being so unstable.
    Today, she is down with the docks showing for only the 2nd time since Thanksgiving. Good luck,

Linda

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Almost forgot, welcome to the BOC; awesome site, info, and good folks.

10. Powerbuilt

Powerbuilt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What does B.O.C stand for?

11. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Brotherhood of Catfishermen

12. Powerbuilt

Powerbuilt New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ahhh.. got ya.. Cool.

13. lance

lance New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I'm sure someone will go I live in Richmond and well with 3 kids I don't go far very much . I 've fished the falls for sauger early spring . If I get a chance I'll come down and fish . I have relatives @ Brandenburg and I really don't know the river . I jug fish with my cousin on the cumberland river some sorry about your luck with fishing buddys .

14. cubacroc

cubacroc Member

State:
    Louisville, Kentucky
    Sorry to hear about your fishing buddy troubles.
    I usually fish the McAlpine pool or the section below the Falls and I fish alone at night. I generally arrive at the first stop around 10 PM during the warmer months. The pleasure boaters are in by that time and it is just the tow boats, catfish and me till first light. Seems like I almost always take a good fish just before I am ready to head in. By the time I get it into the boat I notice that first hint of light in the East. Time to put the boat on the trailer an turn the river back to the daylight crowd.

BTW I always make my first stop as far upriver as I will fish in an evening. If I should happen to break down, the current and trolling motor will eventually get me back to the ramp. I can see the surface much better when running downstream at night.

I started fishing the river in 1970 and I am still a rookie. Fish the river for a while and you will meet some of the real catfish Masters.

Get a good set of maps for the river. Send a PM if you want the info and I will mark some locations to help get you started.

Get the number for the Corp office or use the web site to check water levels, generating periods and gate discharge. The info will help you decide when and where to fish. Current is your friend during the summer.

Ramps are available on the Kentucky and Indian side from below McAlpine dam all the way upriver past Carrolton.

If you prefer to fish during daylight hours for channel cats there are some spots where crank baits, spinner baits and jigs will wear your arms out at some times of the year.

The nighttime topwater action for channels is also amusing. I ocassionally get channels up to 15 lbs on large black jitterbugs and hula poppers.
    Some of my best channel cat trips happened while taking friends out for smallmouth or largemouth. They could not believe the power and aggressive strikes of the channels that nearly busted their bass tackle. Most had never caught a cat on lures.

I rarely fish the lakes you mentioned. Why bother when the best catching spot in the area is a 10 min drive from my house.

Mandory disclaimer before I send anyone out on the river ( especially at night )

Be careful on the river. Be extra cautious at night! Take a day and burn some gas, run the river and check the spots that you plan to try at night. Learn where the creeks are and the shore line landmarks. I made many a last second run up a creek to sit out a storm that suddenly put 4 ft waves in a stretch of river. The tall ridges around Westport and farther up river may limit your ability to see weather moving in from the West.
    The river is much more dangerous than the lakes. Take your time and ask questions.

Good fishing!
    Cubacroc

15. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Welcome to the Boc clay,,all the info you'll ever need you will find here.
    I have to ask You have any Pics of them 60# Channels?

I live 18 miles north of louisville in crestwood,,but in lockport theres a ramp and off river road in louisville itself you can put in at the park above the locks and go either way and catch alot of cats, monster flatheads and blues swim the ohio..

16. southernhoops

southernhoops Active Member

State:
    in
    I live in southern indiana across from greenwood road boat ramp. On your side of the river theres that ramp the one at salt river and the one a brandenburg. When you go thru new albany theres a ramp below thwe sherman minton bridge and a ramp at middle creek.There is great fishing from new albany all the way to leavenworth indiana.

17. Scorpion

Scorpion New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I know of 5 ramps in louisville

1 Cox Park 4 or 5 boats wide good parking restroom open most of the day good for fishing above the fall of the ohio

2 Greenwood Rd 1 or 2 boats wide good parking restroom hours unknown good for fishing rubbertown and down stream

3 New Albany 1or 2 boats wide limited parking restroom have never found them open depth can be from 3'' to several feet depending on the river good for fishing below the falls of the ohio there is a power plant 1/2 mile down stream

4 Clarksville I havent used every time I tried to use this ramp the gates of the dam or the bear trap have been open resulting in high currrent speed at the ramp good parking unknown restrooms good for fishing below the falls of the ohio

5 West Point has already been talked about.

I hope this helps you. If you have any other questions about the louisville area give me a call a 502 640 1743.

18. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Jim and Sam...welcome to the BOC.
    Hope you catch big fish and be careful out there!! :big_smile:

Linda

19. on_the_fly

on_the_fly New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    welcome aboard clay. it sounds like with that diving suite you can locate fish alot better than most of us here lol. but realy get on the river in west point, coxs park off river road by 6 mile island, behind the dam on INdy side in louisville. if you find any factory that discharges water back into the river you can bet theres bait fish around and nice cats there to feed on them. cut skipp jacks are great on the river, good luck and tight lines

20. Kmann

Kmann New Member

State:
    Crestwood, Kent
    Hey I lived across from Louisville all my life, now I live in Crestwood. You need to go up river from Louisville, you can go over to Jeffersonville, In and put in at Duffies Landing off of Utica Pike. If you want to catch some bigguns without a boat go over to Indiana when the river is down some and fish behind the damn at the falls of the Ohio.