Ohio River Louisville area

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by kindofsudden, May 21, 2007.

1. kindofsudden

kindofsudden New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Fished the evening bite at the McAlpine dam area. This was my first time boating the Ohio. Set up on the dropoff just north of the secondary gate where it goes from 11 feet to 28 feet in a hurry. A nice striper, a 20 lb. blue (my buddy's first catfish ever), a big flathead, and lots of smaller channel cats in about 2 hours of fishing right at dusk, all on cut fresh skipjack although I had cut and live bluegill out there as well. All hits came on three way rigs from 1 to 3 feet off the bottom. NONE of my hits came on my slip sinker rigs, which is backwards from what I am use to on the White River. I think they were transitioning from the deep channel to that big flat below the dam, because after it got dark the bite died. Sorry, no pics because I am lame and forgot the camera.

For anyone who hasn't been there, the ramp is not a good one. Be careful backing down because the bottom can be slick and it is very vertical, so it wouldn't be too hard to lose your truck in the river! Also, it is VERY rocky by the dam. Do not get too close because you could easily capsize a smaller boat. Hope this helps someone find a new favorite fishing hole!

2. Indy

Indy New Member

State:
    Indiana

Thanks for that info concerning the ramp, really helps out!

3. arja4444

arja4444 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Good info to know. Thanks for sharing.

4. Ulikedew

Ulikedew New Member

State:
    Georgetown IN
    Problem with New Albany ramp need to stay on the left side when backing up.The one side has a drop off heard alot of stories of axles being torn out this year.