Ohio River is up....waaay up

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Jun 5, 2008.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Not that anyone needs to be told, but the Ohio R is crankin! I went down to my usual boat ramp, pretty much just watched the logs and debris go flying by. I didn't realize how much water this weather system put into the river but there is a rip current right smack dab in the middle of the river that is running 1-2 ft waves! I snapped a couple of pictures but apparently one of my kids spread something over the lens (probably peanut butter) and the pics are smudgy. I guess I am through fishing the river for about a week or so due to the flooding and currents:angry:, it looks like the river will crest at about 44ft in a couple of days. I have heard from a couple of guys that there are great fishing opportunities to be had when the river floods, but with all this water how would you pinpoint fish? fish the flooded backwater?

Here is a useful link to the river level at Cincinnati http://newweb.erh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph.php?gage=ccno1&wfo=iln

Attached Files:

2. MattE

MattE New Member

State:
    Pike County, Ky
    I never had much luck fishing when the water is up, or swift.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    When the river is up like that try the mouths of feeder creeks. I've had a lot of success during that time. Also several people I know love to fish them then.

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Glad you said something on the River level.We were talking yesterday morning about heading that way today.You saved me $$$ got to make those trips count nowadays. :0a31:

5. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    you're quite welcome seahaggy, hopefully she will go down by next weekend, of course some more rain is in the forecast so we will see. I think everyone on this forum thinks about gas prices now, I cant get to a ramp on the river without burning $10 in gas one way...just plain sucks.

6. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Probably more coming, WV got nailed pretty hard with those storms.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    It aint any better here either. Our river is raging, and everyone I know has a flooded basement. I have'nt seen this much rain in a decade or so...

8. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I live in ST. Francis KY. We need a good rain it all missed us the last several times.:sad2: . I will be glad to here that the Ohio River has settled down. Been flooding or close to it for months. Maybe some of us can get together down at the West Point Ramp and party:roll_eyes: i mean bank fish and cookout or boat fish and see what we can haul in.

9. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Did I hear you say PARTY...as soon as she goes down and is stable, sounds like a good plan. I know the guy that oversees the boat ramp and camp ground. Rent a space for the night, grill, fish, beverages, good companionship. Sounds like a plan...:big_smile::tounge_out::big_smile:

Linda

10. crazy4cats

crazy4cats New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    well i went to the river today near cannelton locka nd dam and didnt catch any cats
    i did catch a few stripers tho

I saw one guy with a 30 pound blue on his stringer

and another guy with a nice sized blue 30+

11. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    River level is about normal here but muddy as heck. Fished Sat. night and nothing.

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    We are dropping like a stone here in the Cincinnati area, right now the river level is 35 ft and is dropping around 2-3 ft per day. I am thinking about heading out but I would imagine with the currents I will need about 2 lbs of lead to hold the bait down. Should be back to normal by end of the week...woohoo.

13. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hell of a fellow at the boat ramp. Everytime i have seen him there we always talk for awhile. He even game me his home telephone number so i could reach him and see what the river has been or is doing before i drive such a long way. We got to invite him.So lets try and plan this out so keep in touch.:002::009: