Ohio River in my Back Yard

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by river1214rat, Dec 16, 2007.

1. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    They say a picture is worth a thousand words; however there is no picture that can capture the intenisity of the river today. With the strong winds, she was fierce, angry, yet beautiful at the same time. Barges traveling downstream would hit the waves, sending water up in the air over the barge.The waves were magnificent, white caps one after the other. Out of the bank, she crept into my front yard last night. Living on the river as I do, I understand there could be a time when she may come up and make me evacuate, but that does not diminish the pure enjoyment and love I have for her. Good news is she will crest at 49.4 on Tuesday and start to fall on Wednesday. Please no more rain until she drops back down! I thank God evreyday that he has given me the opportunity to live in my "little house on the River". attached are 2 pics I took from my window this afternoon.

Linda

Attached Files:

2. dougc

dougc Active Member

State:
    Independen
    Missouri River around here's a little higher than normal, but nowhere near flood conditions.

3. e'villeman

e'villeman New Member

State:
    Evansville, Indiana
    Glad to hear your safe Linda.. i envy you living right there on the river

4. seahaggy

seahaggy New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been thinking about you guys living around the Ohio River.As for me i would still take my chances to live where i could view her as i sat at the picnic table in the back yard.:still_dreaming:Still Dreaming.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad to see it looks like everything will be ok, thats a beautiful little piece of realistate you go there...:wink:

6. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    Sure sounds nice living by the river and having the view. Not sure about living with the threat of high water though. It happens too frequently here on the Mississippi River for my taste. Guess I'll just have to 'visit' the river instead of living on it. Sure sounds good though.

7. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Cordova, TN
    Linda, you truly have a beautiful back yard! Hopefully, it will remain a safe one.

8. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    It's a good thing that you have a boat, you never know when you might have to run to the store, LOL!!!

9. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    dont u mean motor up to the store jw lol.

10. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    hey jw what u doin tomorrow ... wanna go fishing in the morning.

11. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Wish I could....Gotta work:angry:!!!

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    dave if i was a little closer i would fill in for j.w. lol... i work asphalt and im layed off till april...lots of fishing in my winter days...lol.. i will be heading to the muskingum river in the morning. goodluck to you, and j.w don't work too hard!:smile2: rollo

13. curdog

curdog New Member

State:
    Sheridan, Arkansas
    Linda, I would like to have me a place on a River your luckey. Hope it don't rise any more.

14. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Linda thanks for sharing the pics. That water level is getting a little close for me. Stay safe and I hope all goes well. Merry Christmas.:big_smile:

15. Catchinbiguns

Catchinbiguns Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Very cool pic, i wish I had the river at my back door

16. KaintuckJeff

KaintuckJeff New Member

State:
    Republic of Kaintuckee
    Is the (cat) fishing at the Salt River confluence any good? The main channel swings close to that bank right around West Point. A lot of public access too, both at WP waterfront park and by the US 31W bridge

17. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Jeff...
    Are you planning on fishing from the bank or from boat. When the water level is down somewhat more than it is now, you can fish from the bank from the Salt River boat ramp around to the park in West Point. There have been some nice cats caught from fishing from the bank in this area. If by boat, there are plenty of options, either up stream or downstream on the Ohio. Hope this helps some.

Linda

18. KaintuckJeff

KaintuckJeff New Member

State:
    Republic of Kaintuckee
    I don't have a boat. I have been trying to scout out some new spots on the Ohio this winter, and that looked like the best one w/i 30 miles of Downtown Louisville (confluence w/ Salt R and outside bend channel)