Ohio river in gallopolis, Oh

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by bigfish, Feb 14, 2006.

1. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    can blues be caught in this area of the ohio river. and do you fish for blues the same way you do for flats. all input would be appreciated.

2. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    You should be able to catch blues anywhere on the Ohio River. I have never fished that particular area but I'm sure they are in there. For blue cats I usually use cut bait (shad or skipjack) and fish areas with sandy or rocky bottom and a fast current. The outside of river bends near the channel tend to be good spots to fish for blues. For flats I usually fish heavy cover and use live baits. I hope this helps. Good luck to you and let us know if you do any good.

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    The farther you get away from Indiana waters the fewer the bluecats become on the ohio river...I have heard of a few caught in that area, but not many.

4. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    sure do appreciate info. jroc777 i hear a lot people doing good with live bait for flats but i have never and i mean never caught a flat on live bait, always been fresh cut. my fishing partner ducain and i caught probably 50-60 flats last year. so basicaly when i make to the ohio for some blues i will use same tactics as i do for flats. so flathunter you say i might find a few, but to be consistant i will have to go on around the ohio a little closer to cincinatti.

5. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Honestly I catch as many flats on cut bait as I do on live bait. I just seem to catch the bigger ones in this area with live baits. I think the key is that it just needs to be fresh. Glad I could help out.

6. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    your absolutely right about the fresh part. took out some bluegills one time about 5hrs dead. not a bite all night.

7. bigfish

bigfish New Member

State:
    Dunbar WV.
    hey flathunter you said the further away from indiana water the fewer the blues. so if i put in at point pleasant and start towards cincinatti the blue fishing will be fairly decent around that area.