Ohio River - I need info on where to bank fish!!

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatman01, Apr 30, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Does anybody know the best place to bank fish the ohio river near Maysville(ky). it would also be better to be on the kentucky side. also, what kind of shape is the ohio river in? if anybody can help me, i would greatly appreciate it.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Jackie, I'm not sure about that area, but a map might help. I would get a map and try to find a dam close to home. Most dams have some kind of public access and are excellent places to bank fish. If you think you will have trouble finding it, you can usually just get as close as the nearest town and ask someone, they will usually know. Good luck. Vern

3. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How about the tailwaters of the greenup dam, is that to far from Maysville?

4. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    They catch alot of nice fish at the maysville city park by the boat ramp from the bank.

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    hey flathunter,if you ever fish anywhere near the greenup dam give me a holler.i'm real close,and live abt 5 minutes from the Russell bridge.I haven't fished the Ohio in several years!

6. claycntyjoe

claycntyjoe New Member

State:
    Northern Kentucky
    If it were me I would look for a tailwater, or a backwater.

You never hear alot of people talking about fishing the backwaters on big rivers. They can actually be some of the best spots to find nice size active cats. I regularly CPR channels and blues in the 10-20 lb range from a backwater close to where I live. The thing with backwater areas is most locals know all about them but refuse to share much info on them because they are so productive.

7. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I'm not too far from the Greenup dam which is about 60 miles up river from Maysville. I haven't heard about whats going on there but fishing is real good at the Eurica dam which is about 10 miles down river from Gallipolis or another 40 miles or so upriver from the Greenup dam.