Ohio River - Hey guys, I have some health issues that make it

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Sunburn, Jun 11, 2008.

1. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    tough for me to climb down all the rocks below the major dams on the Ohio River. I understand that below the dams is the best place to catch skipjacks for bait. BUT, can they be had other places as well during this time of year that I can get to with my boat? Like big bridge piers? Along tied up barges? Where are some other places that would be good to try? Thanks for your help.

2. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    If you are close enough to Pike Island Dam, north of Wheeling, there is a fishing pier there where I have caught a lot of skipjacks at times.

Also, try feeder streams where there is rapid current. They like the current. Never caught them in calm water that I can remember.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Its a really long drive for you but at the Greenup L&D they have stairs all the way down to where you can get all the Skips & Shad you'll need. I know all about those health problems, I can't even make it down those stairs for long while. If you're ever down this way I can let you know exactly where to go but that'd be an awfully long drive but well worth it if their running good.:wink::big_smile:

I've also heard if you can find a hot water discharge like near a power plant they can be caught. Like Jeff said, they love current!!!

4. Dbeals05

Dbeals05 Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have gone to the Pike Island Dam numerous times and tried to catch bait. I haven't had any luck at all.

5. dip

dip New Member

State:
    stinkin ohio
    are you close to the keyger(sp?) power plant? the discharge there yeilds many a skipjack.

6. Sunburn

Sunburn New Member

State:
    Williamsto
    I don't think I've ever heard of it?? Where is it anyhow?? Thanks

7. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    if he means kyger creek it just below chesire close to galipolis