Ohio river @ Henderson, Ky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by wolfman, Aug 26, 2009.

1. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
  2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Walter I'm glad to hear that the boat is back in operation and you are able to get out and chase some cats. Thanks for the pics. Nice fish.

3. catman from owensboro

catman from owensboro New Member

State:
    ky
    good job walt and glad you got the boat going....

4. dcm

dcm New Member

State:
    ky
    very fine cat, glad you hooked him,,,,,,,,,,best wishes on the water

5. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Hooked up with Stoney again and went out last evening. The cats had a bad case of lock jaw, we couldnt buy a bite. Tried to find some shad foer fresh bait but they eluded us also. Drifted the dam 48 area with no success and even tried anchoring once with no luck. Not much current in the river right now, better days are coming. :angry:

6. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Walt, as soon as the water comes back up a little and there's a little more current I'll be making my way back down there for some fishing. I have a surgery scheduled for october 1'st. I'm off work for at least 2 weeks after. I can't work, but I can still fish!! I hope you can get out with us for a bit.

7. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    whats everyone wanting current for?????:eek:oooh: i love it when the river is like this i just have to use the trolling motor once in a while ...

8. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds good brother! I sure do miss the big Ohio river! Man it is hard to drift down here on the Chattahoochee river

9. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I like a little current. I hate it when it's at a standstill. I thought it was perfect when we had the henderson gathering this year. The drift we were on took about 2-3 hours. It was great. when we found the fish we were going slow enough to catch quite a few out of that spot before passing them over. Not so much current that you had to make quick corrections, scramble to get a snagged rod out, etc, etc, but enough current to keep you moving a couple miles an hour. How slow is it running right now??

10. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    the drift speed at the gathering was .8-1.0 mph last night it was .3mph but they are playing with the river level so much that monday it was 1.6mph and i have never caught a fish past 1.2 or so... if the current is over 1mph and i cant keep it under control with the trolling motor i will anchor..

11. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Fished several hours yesterday evening down river by Diamond Island, only 2 fish in the boat, both caught by my fishing partner (biga). The big ones eluded us again. Funny thing is, on our last setup, there was this foul odor in the air from one of those nasty black & white critters nearby that let go his gas sack. Was significant for my night of fishing. (SKUNK) !:angry:

12. biga

biga Well-Known Member

State:
    evansville
    :smile2::smile2::smile2::smile2: we will get them next time walt!! :wink:

13. wolfman

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    It was another slow day on the Ohio today. Started off early this morning and made plans to go up river this time. We started off good by catching about a dozen big shad,and a couple of bluegills. Stoney and I then went to the twin bridges and anchored there for awhile. Stoney got a 6 lb blue and that was it. Tried several other spots with no success, then started drifting a few areas which I caught a small 4 lb blue cat. Lot of boat traffic and pleasure riders were out tearing up the water mid day and forced us to load up. Had a lot of fun, the big ones eluded us but didnt get skunked.

Attached Files:

14. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well at least you didnt get skunked on cats like i did sat. fished 2 different rivers and never had a single bite from a cat. but did manage several nice stripers and hybrids

15. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    I'm gonna try fishin @ hawesville in a few days Maybe the bite will pick up.:cool2:

16. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Are you fishing the Evansville or Henderson side?

Do they let Kentucky guys fish on the Indiana side with a kentucky license and vice versa?

17. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    Blacky, KY and Indiana have an agreement that if your from either state you can fish the other side.This applies to the main river system.