Ohio River , Henderson Kentucky

Discussion in 'MEMBER FISHING REPORTS (BECOME A FISHING LEGEND)' started by DeerHunter01, Jun 15, 2006.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Well I was fishing the River here Monday evening and had several hits that were just tapping the line and they would not take it at all. I told my son that I was going to wait about two weeks and hit the river again. Well tonight my son was off work and wanted to go out about 6:30 PM for a few hours of fishing.

We took off and got on the river at 7:00PM we went and picked up about 100 shad about 8- 14 inches in length. With one the measured 16 inches long. we put four on our poles right away alive with my son putting on this huge shad, we didn't go 20 yards on the first drift and my pole loaded up and I grabbed the rod and had the first fish on for about 2 minutes and then he came off, when I reeled in the back section of the shad that was about 10 inches long had no skin on it , just peeled right off. So I dropped him back in, just at that time my son's rod loaded up, the one with the biggest shad, and went right under the boat, you could tell it had to be a good fish his rod was bent into the water when he was getting it out of the rod holder, and he set the hook and started fighting the fish, the fish went clear under the boat and he said he was not going to give him any slack and locked down on the rod and just then the rod snapped in half sounded like a shotgun going off, it broke right in the middle of the rod.

This rod I had bought for him at Bass Pro shop this Christmas for him and it didn't take much either. about two minutes later my rod took off and I got a 5 Pound blue cat on that one then Ryan got a 7.10 pound bluecat, and then I got a 8.0 pound bluecat and then he got a 6 pound blue, like back to back. Drifting along the shore line in 29 to 32 foot of water. What was neat I left on the fish finder and watched as our bait was dragging about 1 foot off the bottom the entire way, and would see fish show up near the bait and the rods would go down. We ended up with four blue cats and lost 7 fish in about a hours time, and then they shut down and we could not buy a hit, until about 10:15 PM this evening I had one load the rod and when I got the rod out and jerked there was nothing there. It was a good evening of fishing the best I have had in 4 weeks on the river.

When we put in tonight there was a bluecat laying on the shore that went a good 60 pound or better, someone had either caught this fish and didn't release it or had caught it and turned it lose and it died, this fish had all kind of battle wounds on it, I took a few picture of the fish it was around 54 inches in length.

First photo is the rod the my son broke tonight on a fish.

Second picture is the shad my son had on his line when his rod got broke.

Third picture is of the Bluecat that was dead on the shore where we put the boat in at.

Attached Files:

2. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Thanks for sharing Eric:big_smile: What kind of rod was that from BP?...don't recognize it. I hate seeing cats that size die from anything...sheesh.:crazy:

3. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    I bet you ran over that fish with the boat. LOL
    Sounds like you need to buy him a new rod. And this time don't fix it where it will break with him.. HAHA
    Where is the depth finder photos ?? Or did I over look it?
    Pete

4. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    sounds like you had fun dh. too bad about the rod,better way to loose a rod than gone fishins post about the snake though. ryan tell your dad to stop buying those cheap bp rods and get you a gator. lol

5. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    River scum:

He has a Gator rod, that was the other rod he had in the boat with him, maybe these fish will start to turn around now some. Well at least Ryan is on the fish off now he was having a hard time catching a fish this year. now he broke the Ice.

Itch2Scratch:

I think it has power something on the road , Heavy Duty , I just looked for it and not sure where he put that rod. I will let you know.

ShilohRed:

I am going to put the Fish finder images in the Fish finder review section today from the trip. there not up yet.
    That big fish may have died from fright if it seen JW out on the water the other night..LMAO

6. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Glad to see you guys are having a bit of luck with the fish. I'm taking my pop out this Saturday for fathers day. It's my first trip in a very long, long, while! I wonder if that fish died from the spawn? We get alot of that here this time of year.

7. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Look like a good trip, in all. That shad for bait is bigger than the biggest catfish I've caught!:embarassed:

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    For heavens sake DH. Ya been smokein the lad since winter when it comes to fishin. Now ya gotta resort to havein him use one of JW's snoopy poles. Man you are terrible! LOL! Thanx for the story and if there is anyone that will find em its you.

9. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    That ain't a 50lb bluecat. It's a 10lber that's bloated!

10. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Shawn, Your right but I think it was only 2 Lbs so maybe you were wrong also..LMAO

11. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    It's good to see you get out there and fish DH. Looks like the big fish truck is hiding from you now. Maybe we need to get that truck on the old Chuck milk carton. LOL That truck driver has no loyalty in him at all. LOL Going to get my new depth finder installed Saturday. Gonna try it out Saturday evening hopefully. I'll see about some pics when I'm back home. Hopefully this one will allow me to tell the difference between a log and flathead catfish! LOL:big_smile_2:

12. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Im really glad to hear someone is catching fish on the Ohio, i was getting the same "tap, tap" bites saturday night, and the last few times i was down there, glad to hear they were more aggresive for you..Now i need to get back down there...LOL

13. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    According to the guys here I am never wrong for I am a Democrat!

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!! :big_smile:

14. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Deerhunter;
    I'm still working on my 10 posts here but that one you are holding in your Avatar is one I would like to tie into someday.
    That rod that broke on your son, that was not the Gator rod was it? The reason I am asking is that when I read the story I got a bit confused as to what was happening in what order.
    I hope someday I have one so large that it breaks one of my Shakespere Ugly Stiks, because if it does, my wife will let me have a Gator Rod with no questions asked! :)
    Great Story, ... I wish my late father had done with me what you are doing with your children! All children should be so lucky!
    By the way, I spent a lot of time being raised down in Marion and Freedonia when I was a youngster. You would not happen to know those areas would ya??? }:) <evil smiling knowing grin>
    Thanks for your story, it's a GOOD one and Thanks for taking the time to care about your children! So many parents nowadays don't!! Sad, Very SAD :-( No doubt your children will turn out to be exceptional members of society when they reach adulthood! :-D
    Safe Fishing,
    "Ed/Coyote"
    [[[[[End of Message]]]]]

15. Skunk Master

Skunk Master New Member

State:
    Colinsville, Il
    Thanks for the story and pics... So my Shakespear Tiger poles are living on borrowed time then huh... hehehe

16. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Coyote1:

When we set up last night my son decided to put the largest shad on his rod, when the fish hit it it jerked the pole down under the boat still on the rod holder, when he got it out the fish was on the ohter side of the boat and he was trying to stop it when it snapped the rod into three sections as in his photo. That rod had to have a weak point on it but I will tell you this much it was a nice fish.

And no it was not on a gator rod, that rod would of held up this one didn't. Like I told my son as much traveling as we do you never know what happens to your fishing rods, tips get bent and other things and you don't find out until its too late. then you sit there upset with yourself. Like I stated before these fish turned very active when we hit the water then they turned off about a hour later.

17. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Coyote, its a funny coincidence I live in Marion and work out of Fredonia. Do you have any reletives in the area?

18. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Bryan You should have gotten the Humminbird 987c SI if you wonted to see the log. HEHE
    Pete

19. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    well i think ryan stepped on the rod and broke it, this sounds like a jw story..

20. Dragger

Dragger New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    Way to go DH, if i'm trying to break a rod,thats the best way to do it, Glad ya'll had a good nite....