Ohio river, Greenup Co.

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by mailhiker, Feb 17, 2007.

1. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    While I'm thinking about it. Does anyone Know where I might park and be able to access the Ohio River on the KY side in Greenup Co. Last year My father and I went down an access road right below the dam, and there was some shady people there. Made me too uneasy to fish. Since then I've heard that is a popular spot for not so nice activities. Any info is much appreciated.

2. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I think the fishing is recipercal you can come across the dam and fish in the river on the Ohio side with Ky licence.

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I agree about some of the people being like that.I've seen a few like that...Heck,I may be one of those shady people you saw or I may know them...LMAO!
    Fishhook,you're 100% correct.We can fish on either side with a valid KY license as you all can do the same with a valid OH license.

Where do you live at mailhiker? Go up to the Ashland boat docks,decent bank fishing up there.
    I live in Flatwoods.Not a whole lot of great places to go but there is a few.You ever heard of the gravel pit in Raceland? I've caught several fish out of there.Its OH R. backwater.
    Get back with me,I'll let you know a few places.

4. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks Fishhook, I knew that. Catfishjohn, I work in Ashland. I guess I'll just start trying to get to every peice of bank along the river I can try. Have you heard of anyone fishing above the refinery?

5. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    LOL,I know all kinds of people you work with there.I worked there about 12-13 years ago in the processing.Still know quite a few people there.
    I've fished the Big Sandy up close to the electric plant,but its been a long time ago.A buddy of mine is supposed to show me some good bank spots up in Catlettsburg.When I find them out,I'll let you know.
    Another spot abt 5 mins from me I wanna try is right below the Russell bridge.I go across it usually once a day and see people down there some.

6. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    I knew about the license thing I keep a Ky license as well as an Oh license, that way I can fish a lot of rods at once on the river instead just the two that Oh allows.

7. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    Thats a good idea for you over there across the river. Smart thinkin'.

8. kyjake

kyjake New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Have noticed lot of non fishing traffic at the little park on the Ohio side of the dam by people not fishing.They would stay parked for a time,have a visitor,then both would usually leave.Out of about 15-20 people who came through I was the only one fishing.
    I could not find a way to get below the dam on the Kentucky side where I fished a lot years ago.
    Jake

9. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Are you guys sure about the liscense deal?? I know you can fish from a boat with an ohio or kentucky liscense, but i think if your fishing from the banks, you need a liscence for what ever state you fishing in at that time..I could be wrong, but you may want to check it..On a boat your in open water, but from the bank, your in that particular state.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'm absolutely positive on that.I e-mailed the KY DNR and made sure.
    You can only fish the main stem though,no creeks or tributaries.

11. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
    I'm gonna check that right now for sure. Get back later if I find out.

12. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I like to be shady.I take an umbrella with me and I wear shads:cool2:, it scares some of the competition away. It also helps to talk out loud to your self and make a lot of erratic movements.:eek:oooh: :smile2: :big_smile:

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Did you make it clear that you were talking about bank fishing?? Cause i know I cant take my boat up into tributaries on the Kentucky side without a kentucy Liscense, but i can fish anywhere else on the Ohio River, but i would double check that man, cause it doesnt make sense that you would be able to fish off the kentucky bank with an ohio Liscense..Cause even with my ohio liscense, i can only fish 2 poles out of my boat, even though a guy with a KY liscense fishing right next to me can fish as many as he wants too...The laws are a little shakey on big rivers like that...I would just double check if i were you, dont want you to get in any situation, ya know.

14. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
  15. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

100%!!! I think Mike just posted a link to it.I'll try and see if I still have the e-mail.Its some kind of an agreement between the 2 states though.

16. mailhiker

mailhiker New Member

State:
    KY
  17. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    thanks for the info, i never would have guessed that.

18. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    Jack, when you wear Shads, does that help to keep folks away from you??? :lol: Do you wear cut shads, or do you use the whole shad?:big_smile: I can definitely see the benifits of wearing shads it must pretty much insure that you have plenty of room between you and any other fisherman!!!!:big_smile:

Couldnt help myself Brother!!!:smile2:

19. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No need to worry brother, as you can see from this pic they do stand back a ways! lol

Attached Files:

20. splitshot

splitshot New Member

State:
    Coxsakie,N.Y.
    I see what yer talking about now, the guy behind you looks like he is ready to bolt but dosent know which way to go.:lol: