Ohio River Gar

Discussion in 'Gar Fishing' started by duxsrus, Aug 14, 2005.

1. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I seem to still be getting into the gar thus far this summer. However we're still catching cats in the same areas the we've pulled gar from. I have some pictures of some gar that we've caught. When I fully understand how the photo gallery works, I'll put them in there.

2. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Gar, yeah, they are thick in spots on the Ohio River. Hopefully they will leave ya alone long enough to get into some big kitties.

3. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Here is a picture of a decent sized gar Circlehooker got the weekend before last.

Attached Files:

4. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Yeah, she will take some skin off if you are not careful. The worst I have ever run into Gar was at the Illinois gathering last year in Carlyle. Man, they were thick. Everycast was a gar trying to get on the line. They were reeling them in up and down the bank all morning. Little brother got to know one up and close. hehehe It was just a small one though.

5. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I caught a 40 inch Alligator Gar last weekend. I watched him slowly swim up to my line go down and take my bait. It was a fun fight but my son was mad at me for letting him go. He thinks we are supposed to eat all the fish we catch. LOL

6. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Bull Daddy, luckily we do not have any alligator gar here. They seem to get pretty mean and I am sure they are not the nicest of fish to mess with. Tell your son you will eat him next time if he takes him off the hook. That may change his mind real fast. LMAO

7. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    We were still getting into the gar this weekend also. Largest gar - 4'. Largest cat - 2#...lol

8. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    LMAO Dale, sounds like a normal weekend for me. At least you were catching fish, I was at the ER and working on the car. Not a real fun thing to do on a Saturday. Did ya get your truck fixed yet??

9. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Well, the tranfer case I ordered finally came in Thursday. I came back first thing in the morning Sunday from the gathering to install it. It didn't fit. They had 2 different transfer cases in 96 for the 3/4 ton chevy trucks. Come to find out, I needed a 96-1 and got a 96-2. I will not get the replacement case till later this week. It is coming from Tennessee.

10. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Wow, you just cant win for losing Dale. That sucks man, hope you are able to work without it or just enjoying the short vacation at least.

11. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    No work, kind of dead in the water. If just the fish were biting...lol

12. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I hear ya, but I have not been out in over a month. Just too darn busy.

13. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Andy looks like he has the death grip on those gar. :D

14. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    A big boy gator gar is real high on my "dream" catch list. Just under a big boy cat, of course!!! :rolleyes:

15. teaysvalleyguy

State:
    GC, OHIO
    He really was not too thrilled with holding it for sure. LMAO One of them got him pretty good.

16. roofermike

roofermike New Member

State:
    Jefferson City, Missouri
    The alligator gar are thick as all get out around here. I would have thrown that piece of garbage on the bank and let it rot in the sun. Or keep a hammer in the boat ;)

17. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

State:
    Pataskala, Ohio
    Name:
    Clarence
    Most of the gar I see I just give free injections with a fiberglass shaft. :cool:

18. rodpod

rodpod New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    Here is a picture of a gar my friend caught below the newburgh dam a few weeks ago. It weighed 19 pounds. I also caught one that night around the same size and it sliced my line on the bank. I have never seen them this big before.

Attached Files:

19. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    That a good sized gar there. I just got in from fishing the Ohio River and all we got were gar tonight. :mad:

20. Smellycat

Smellycat New Member

State:
    Harrison Arkans
    Hey you guys ever make them "Gar Balls"?
    Matt, You really a Space Invaders Champ? I used to love that game.