OHIO RIVER GAR

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Moose1, Feb 26, 2009.

1. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    CAN ANYONE TELL ME IF THERE IS A GOOD POPULATION OF GAR IN THE NORTHERN END OF THE OHIO RIVER??
    NEVER HEAR OF ANYONE SAYING THEY HAVE CAUGHT ANY THIS FAR NORTH.

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I can't say for sure, but I would imagine they are just as thick up there as they are here. They can be quite the pain in the rear down here.

3. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    There seems to be a fair amount of them here in the Greenup pool.

4. Moose1

Moose1 New Member

State:
    STEUB, OHIO
    WHERE IS THE GREENUP POOL??
    I LIVED IN THE SOUTH FOR A WHILE AND SAW GAR SWIMING AROUND ALL THE TIME, BUT NEVER KNEW HOW TO GET ONE TO BITE.
    WOULD LIKE TO TANGLE WITH ONE HERE ON THE OHIO SOME TIME.:eek:oooh:

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Catching them with traditional rigs is pretty difficult. When you give up on the whiskers sometimes because the gar are so thick, we have actually taken turns trying to catch them with bobbers..THey will hit anything that cats will hit, usually when they move in the kitties are long gone.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish the Hannibal to Willow Island poole on the Ohio. They seem to be fairly thick there also. The biggest one I ever caught came from there. It was 40 some inches.. I agree Travis, you may as well leave when they move in thick. We have had them below dams come in before during the spring to dangle cutbait a few inches under the surface off the side of the boat to get them rocked! We set the clickers, and downsized our weights, when them gar run the clickers, they scream it!!! Awefull hard to get em hooked in the snout though....rollo

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Yeah, I remember probably the best night we have had on the Ohio, we were up at the dam and every 5 minutes another pole would bend over with atleast a 20lber or more on the other side, just big blues one after the other. All of the sudden it stopped about 3 hours later, and guess who we saw surfacing? Freakin gar. I can't stand those fish, I have such a love for fishing in general though I can't bring myself to hurt one, so I just move on. But nothing will kill the bite quicker than those sleak, fast, eating machines..

Well I should't say kill the bite, but Rollo is right, sounds like your clicker is hooked to a formula one racing car, and pick it up to be cleaned off..Its funny my buddy is absolutley terrified of those things.:smile2:

8. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    A friend of mine caught a gar on an outing one time and when it hit the bottom of the boat it was thrashing around like crazy:crazy: it cut the heck out of his leg, glad it wasnt me:wink:

9. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I,ve read about rigs to catch them with something about a hook and a couple dropper lines ,but I don't remember where. My memory is like swiss cheese don,t hardly remember my name most of the time.

10. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    By the way if you find a river that doesn't have gar in it let me know, cause all of them I ever fished had there share.

11. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    we used to land smaller ones on a creek by tying a piece of yarn onto the line. above the hook about six inches or so we'd tie a swivel. tie the yarn to the swivel, to the hook shank, and let it dangle back a couple inches. (red yarn) bait with a minnow and you can land the fish not with the hook, but with the yarn all tangled in their teeth. i was reading an article where they were making spinnerbaits with skirts of frayed nylon rope to catch those big alligator gar down in LA. same concept, the fish weren't hooked but rather had their teeth all tangled up in the rope skirt. i don't think the yarn trick would hold up on the bigger gar i've snagged and seen in big rivers, but a similar concept could be thought up and they could be landed. m.