Ohio River Flatheads

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by DeerHunter01, Oct 2, 2005.

1. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Today, my son and I went fishing out on the Ohio River here close to home, we left home about 1:00Pm and got launched and was ready to fish in a good spot I located a few weeks back, seems like during a few of the storms here its knocked in about 10-12 trees along the bank and there now out about 30 Yards from shore in 32-42 foot of water.

As I came around the down stream side of them I started up stream right in line with them as I got to the trees I started to the left of them about 20 feet, but was showing the structure of the trees. Then all of a sudden several fish came on the fish finder and all of them were laying right on the bottom just like some big ole Flatheads use to do up around the Ohio River near East Liverpool Ohio. so we pulled up about twenty yards above them and dropped the anchor real easy. Once it locked in we were just about right over them or close to them. When I do find fish on the fish finder I shut it off right away , cause I can hear it pinging sitting in the seat fishing, If I can hear it I am sure the fish feel it. Anyway I baited up with Cut Shad on both poles.

I dropped them both off the back of the boat till they hit bottom. then I just snugged them up some. as I was putting stuff off to the side it was not 5 Minutes and I looked up at my one pole that had the Abu 7000 on a Gator custom rod (lol) and the tip bent down real slow, and it kept going and then line started to pull out real slow and then it kept picking up speed, so I got the rod in my hand and it was going pretty good at this point so I clicked the reel down, and the fish hammered the pole when it got tight and he started towards the trees, and I hammered him, with a 10/0 Kahle hook and the fight was on then, he was pulling drag out of that reel with it all the way tightened down. I managed to keep him out of them as Ryan was reeling in my other pole to get it out of the way.

The fish did several deep dives and hard ones too, after about 15 Minute fight I got him to the top of the water and we got him in the boat, I just sat there in amazement on how big these fish get. This flathead had to be the lightest color flathead I have ever caught. so after a couple of high fives with my son we got it weighed and it came right in at 48.11 Pounds, My personal best. which this makes my third time this year beating my personal best. after photos was taken I released him and he swam away nice and slow. there is nothing like getting a big fish and having your son there to share it with. I will post a few photos of the structure and the graph what it read and the fish.

All as I can say keep with it , someday it will happen. :D

Attached Files:

2. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Here is a couple of more photos of the fish graph around them trees.

Attached Files:

3. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Way to go DH!!! It's about time you caught a big fish,LOL!!!
    Was Ryan asleep again,LMAO!!!

4. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    DH,

That's one fine cat and you did a great job. :worship:

ike

5. stoney

stoney New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    good job brother,just wish i was their to watch you pullm that hog in..i'll be their on the next one buddy... :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

6. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Nice Hog there Big Brother. I thought you were heading to Florida?

7. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    DH

Very nice Yellow. I wish I had your fish and spots up here and on Shad too!

<><Baitkiller><>

8. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Very nice flat there DH my personal best was 48 lbs 08 oz man I know you had some fun there. That is one sweet fish. Way to go brother way to go.

9. elphaba7

elphaba7 New Member

State:
    Mo'town, WV
    Sweet fish, Dad! :worship:

10. capt.kirk

capt.kirk Guest

REALLY NICE FLAT
    looks like they were stacked up like the drive thru at Mc Donalds.
    KIRK :thumbsup:

11. Catwagon

Catwagon New Member

State:
    Justin, TX
    Darn nice flat! And thanks for the tip on the sonar ping. I always leave mine on but it never occurred to me even once that they might be able to hear it too.

That may also explain why I've never boated a nice flat like yours. (I need an icon for "I'm a dummy for not thinking") :D

12. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Congrats on the awesome flattie DH. I have fished that area and told my parnter that there should be some big flats in that area. Good job. THe flats really are turning on.

13. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Dh, how warm was the water yesterday in that section?

14. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Thanks everyone, shawn I am heading to Florida tomorrow morning, at daybreak.

J.W. no he was awake, he didn't fall asleep .

Catwagon, I really do think they feel that, on my fishfinder it is 4000 watts and 480X480.

Slimcat, as you can see on the depth finder it was running between 77.0 and 77.5 on surface temp. All them screen shots of the fish finder was that area right around them trees, After I had caught that fish, I got several photos of the fish finder around there.

15. slimcat

slimcat New Member

State:
    marion kentucky
    Thanks DH, I didn't even notice the temp on the depthfinder , to busy looking at the nice flathead. I think yesterday was a great day to fish for several guys on here.

16. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    Like I told you on the phone yesterday, way to go my friend! I just wish I could have been there to see it. Now you know you ain't supposed to tell everybody about the pinging sonar! You keep that up then everybody will be catching hawgs! :p No seriously, catfish are swimming radars basicly and they can detect the sonar for sure. Another fish that is very sensitive to it is shad and they will disperse from it. If the bait leaves the hawgs will follow! I'm glad to see you two having so much fun, hopefully I can drag my butt over there soon and bug the crap out of all of ya!

17. azcatman

azcatman New Member

State:
    Arizona
    That is one nice fish you got there DH. Also liked the pic's of your graph. Got a question for you though. I just put a X135 on my boat and have not had it out yet and was wondering how you like it. From the pic's it looks like it is going to work out just fine. I had a x71 on and just didn't like the definiton of it. Not enough pixels. Once again brother very nice cat!!!!!

18. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    congrats,thats a really nice fish!!

19. abilene

abilene New Member

State:
    abilene, tx
    Great post DH, congratulations again!

20. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    AzCatman:

Well the New X135 is a very good unit, has the watts high enough and got the pixels to work for ya. This unit I feel is top of the line for what I need it for. I don't lose track of the bottom of the river anymore when running high speed and plus it shows fish at more of a higher speed then the other one, Plus it has zoom, which I use all the time. Normal fish Finder like the X71 and others under the 4000 watt and under the 480X480 does not zoom for you. there was alot of times on my older unit I thought it looked like a fish on the bottom and just to find out with this newer one its a stump or a snag. Plus if you find a stump or a brush pile you can zoom it in and see the fish laying in it. Plus the night time screen helps alot.

I would not trade it in for nothing now. Just look at graph # 7 this is zoomed up 2 X's this unit will go to 4X but this gives you a better look at trees with fish around it, attached below.

Attached Files: