Ohio River fishing

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by kycatman01, Nov 29, 2006.

1. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    It has been a long time since I have been on here. Just wondering how the fishing has been on the Ohio? Any big Blues?

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Catman01, I have been getting a few blues of the small to medium range. They haven't moved to the wintering holes yet. All the ones I've been getting are in the heavy current still, same with the channels. As far as flatties go, if you are after them you would do best to wait till spring. Vern

3. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Thanks for the info, VL. Anybody else been lately?

4. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    yes went last weekend cought 4 small blues the bigest was 12lb they are in the fast water but all of them came out of at least 50 feet of water

5. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Well me and a friend went cattin Jan. 1 ST to try and do a repeat of last new years catch. First place we stopped he caught a 35 lb. fished about 2hrs without a bite. We were just down stream from a creek mouth and I said lets go up to the mouth and try to catch some shad. I idled the boat up to it and he threw the net. The boat was still moving a little bit and the net got real tight and was moving to wards the back of the boat. I said it looks like your hung on something but , I noticed he was still pulling in the net. The net was coming in like it had a ton of shad in it but, when it came to the top it wasn't shad! It was a big Blue. I grabbed the dip net and brought him in and grabbed the scales. 64 lbs.!!!! and he was only in 8ft. of water. Later on that day we caught 54lb'er. Needless to say it was a very interesting day.

6. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    James sounds like a good day to me! It will be hard for you to top what you caught last Jan.1, but you got darn close this year!

7. rwilley3

rwilley3 New Member

State:
    Brighton, Tenne
    Sounds like a good one. I guess you weren't the only one who knew there were shad up in that creek.:smile2: Makes you wonder why we all seem to think we ought to be fishing at least 30' deepto catch them hogs doesn't it?

8. Catfishhunter

Catfishhunter New Member

State:
    Lanesville, In.
    Roger, we where thinking the same thing. Everything you read about winter time patterns was blown out of the water. We let the water settle down for about an hour and went back up to the creek and fished it and only got some channel bites. The river channel is just in front of the creek mouth so, we got to talking and thinking that they stay at the bottom of the ledge when their not hungry and come in to the shallow to feed. After we fished it. We took the net and threw up into the mouth and caught some small drum and a 10 lb. buffalo.

9. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    Hey, fellow members! Just checking on the Ohio River Fishing right now. Anybody catching anything?

10. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    The river here is up and full of logs an trash.

11. mlohre

mlohre New Member

State:
    Walton, Kentucky
  12. kycatman01

kycatman01 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I thought the river would be rolling. Thanks guys for the info and good luck!!