Ohio River fishing report for 16 SEPT

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Sep 18, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I fished the Ohio River on Sunday from the Salt River down to Otter Creek. I had minimal luck for the first 2 hours because I was fishing anchored up. Around 9 am I decided to drift the main channel and changed my luck significantly. I ended up with 4 blue cats weighing 9.5, 5, 2, 1.5. I caught these within a 2 hour period on fresh cut shad. I received plenty of other strong runs, but they were just not setting the hook. The water temp had finally fallen to around 75 degrees and the sky was partly cloudy. There is an abundance of bait at the mouth of the Salt river, one cast of the net will provide you with all you need for the day. I know alot of you other catfishermen have been out, please provided detailed descriptions of the conditions so we can all learn! :wink:

2. river1214rat

river1214rat New Member

State:
    West Point, KY
    Fished the Ohio last night, stayed around West Point. I agree not much luck when anchored, caught 2 small Channel Cats in front of the park about 50 yards out. Must be a sand bar about 40 yds out and I was on the edge of it. Question: When drifting in the channel, and not using a fish finder, what is the best depth to fish at???:confused2:

Be safe

3. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    Fished the Ohio last night around the henderson area and had good luck with skipjack caught three over 15 pounds still biting when I left.

4. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Hey River1214rat, I am no drifting expert by any means, I just wanted to throw that our there. I believe the channel to range from 25 to 33 feet in front of the park. As a general rule, deeper is better. If you don't have a fishfinder, the deepest part of the channel in that area is smack dab in the middle. I don't use any gee whiz gear to drift that section, I simply put the boat sideways in the channel and let the wind/current take me. To control the boat, I use the outboard (not-running) to guide the drift. THIS ONLY WORKS IN LOW WIND CONDITIONS. As a general rule there are good fish in the channel about 1/2 a mile upstream and downstream of the Salt River entrance. Don't get too close to the bank on the downstream side of the River as it is full of snags! I hope this will help. It is well worth the time/effort to move down to the otter creek intersection!

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Jason, were you fishing from the bank or boat and what were your conditions there?

6. Crazy_Cooter

Crazy_Cooter New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Fished about a mile or so up river from Brandenburg this morning. Only caught one channel cat, but had to good runs. I was using live skipjack, about 8", and anchored off near a small feeder creek mouth.

7. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    wow sounds like u guys are hitting them up good ... i need to find some skipjack.. plenty of shad and gills just no skipps

8. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    found some skipjack ... but still no good bites ... some small taps .. but nothing is taking it and runnin with it.

9. radish

radish Member

State:
    ms
    its the same way on the lower Mississippi river.

10. fishassasin

fishassasin New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    well radish ...thanks.. at least now we know its not slow just on the ohio ... wish it was better for the both of us

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    I have been having good luck drifting the channel in shallow water (water between 15 and 25 feet deep). I have been using fresh cut skipjacks when I can get them and when I can't get them I use freshcut shad and then tip the hook with one live one. Fishing on gravel bottom right down against the bottom, not having any luck suspended. 15 to 25 feet of water near to a deep hole or a point is well worth the try. Vern

12. BLuegill2007

BLuegill2007 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    We fished a small tourny saturday night from greenwood road to the hydro elect. plant and had no luck 2 small channels and there were 3 big cats caught a 38 pound flattie a 33 pound blue and one flatty that would go around 20lbs we tried drifting small skipjacks and cut shad with no luck we fished the hot water discharge at LGE and didnt get a bite the river is just slow but as soon as the weather breaks and rain comes the fish will be on