Ohio River east or west of Cinnci?

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by chasethecat, Feb 22, 2009.

1. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Looking into taking a trip down to the Ohio River soon. Will be traveling down from Toledo OH. Never fished the Ohio and never fished blues. I'm not looking for anyone to out their secret spots, but i'd like to get some feedback on river conditions, availability of bait, tackle shops, etc... From Toledo it looks like the drive would be the same to concentrate on the area around either the dam west of cinnci or the one east of cinnci. either way, it would be a long drive home if the river isn't fishable. we have some 6" shad that i've been collecting from a power plant discharge around here, but would like to catch some skipjack to use. Also, if we decide to go this week won't be able to order 6 and 8 oz. sinkers off catfish connection so we'd have to find a tackle shop that carried big weights. otherwise, i think we're set to go, got plenty of big rods and penn 320gti's and my dad's ranger 620 can handle some big current and water and is rigged with good electronics, etc... any info on conditions, ramps, tackle shops, bait, would be greatly appreciated. m.

2. Jadkins

Jadkins New Member

State:
    Connersville, I
    I do know markland dam is a good spot if you dont want to go that from try tanners creek fishing around the power plant and there are some deep holes in a few miles of there that hold some big bules and flats about a tackle shop i personal dont know of any most of us make are own sinkers these days i might be going down the 28 or the 1 of march maybe i will see you around

3. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I would probably suggest Markland. The concentration of blues tends to get better the farther downriver you go. When are you wanting to go? I haven't heard of any blues really moving into the dams yet. I think they are still in their wintering holes, but not real sure. Somebody else will be able to chip in on that.

If you go to Markland there is a bait shop pretty close. Go across the dam, into kentucky, and then head back upriver. It's a highway but I cant remember the name. But go up through Warsaw and there is a little bait shop on the left (right on the river). It's called Sargeant Sissies. The old man pours all his own sinkers and still sells them dirt cheap. They used to be 10 cents an ounce but he just had to raise them to 15 cents an ounce.

You should also be able to get some skipjack at the dam, I dont think they are running real heavy yet but hopefully you can get enough to fish with. Alot of the creeks are great places to get Shad and fresh ones are always best!

Another note: if you head to the dams take some lighter tackle. The sauger should be running heavy and they are great eating!

4. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    Markland area is def. where i was thinking. figured we'd head up to the dam for skipjack then head downstream looking for holes and watching the fishfinder. we'd be fishing all day tues. and wed. morning. hoping to hear 1) if its fishable and 2) a good enough report that we'll make the trip down. my dad has a decent report on lake trout in the niagara river so unless i hear about some blues being caught over the weekend i'll be over-ruled and heading to NY with my lake trout gear. m.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Mike, all the suggestions these guys are giving are great, just don't forget that once you get downriver from the I-275 bridge that either an Indiana or Kentucky license is required. Good Luck. Vern

6. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    yep, i'll put it in my wallet with the ohio, michigan, new york and canadian ones.

7. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Which license are you going to go with? If you get an IN you have a 3 pole limit. If you get a KY you can have unlimited poles out. Just a thought

8. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Chasethecat, if you purchase a Kentucky license today it will expire on the 28th of February. If you wait till March 1 it will be good till February 2010. just a thought. I think if I was you I would fish in the Ohio part of the Ohio River till March 1 then get the KY license. Vern

9. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    well, we decided to give it a try. today we struck out, but it was mostly a day of exploration and familiarizing ourselves with the river (first time down) found our most promising hole towards dusk, so we're hoping that tom. will be better for catching. found shad but no skipjack. m.

10. chasethecat

chasethecat New Member

State:
    Toledo, Ohio
    on day two ended up getting into some smaller blues (5-10 lbs.) but none of the big guys we hoped for. fished down river from dam quite a ways to get out of debris. always gotta put in that time to catch the big ones, thanks for the advice and help. we'll make it down again. btw all catch and release for cats here got plenty of walleye in the freezer. water temp was 38 at creek mouths and 35 n main river. m.

11. snakedog

snakedog Active Member

State:
    Lost Bridge
    Name:
    Karl