Ohio river during the fireworks

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by beetle, Aug 29, 2008.

1. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How busy does the river get? How far down river can you see the fireworks? How backed up are the ramps down river (Tanners Creek)? I've never been down there but since getting the new pontoon was thinking it might be fun.

2. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Take it from me..Stay home..LOL...I steer clear on every holiday...Its hard to do, but its too packed...House boats, jet boats, jet skis, drunks, fireworks,

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Sounds like good advice to me. Good luck to everyone fishing

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I was down there one time during the fireworks an said I would never do that again. It was nothing shorter then a mess trying to guide a boat in an out an around everyone. Not to mention the ones that were so messed up they couldn't see where they were going even if it were day light.

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Glenn, that's what I figured it would be just wasn't sure if I put in at Tanners Creek if I could stay far enough down river to see the fireworks but stay out of the jam. I decided I think to head to Brookville lake instead tonight and just stay on the water all day tomorrow too...they have plenty of no wake areas there.

6. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    U may be okay up in New Richmond on the ohio river if you want to fish,not sure if you will be able to see the fireworks, i thinks its about 18 miles up from downtown.

7. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Im headed out of Tanners on Monday early....4-5 am, planning to hit it till noon or so, does anyone think that will be a problem??
    Beetle, Riverking?? anyone else interested in joining us? ( Mellon may be coming in his boat also)

Salmonid

8. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio

Mellon and his boat....not a good combination!:big_smile:

9. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    you for the most part should be good to go on and fish and be worry free with the drunks for the time being. however it is still labor day and those idiots will be right back out there once the sun gets high in the sky. so fish early fish hard and GO HOME AND GET AWAY WITH FROM THE DRUNKEN IDIOTS!!!

10. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    I think you should be fine Salmonid,maybe a little return traffic but not too bad. I will be putting in across the river fromyou about the same time on Monday morning as well, look for a 19 ft camo jon boat with side console and tall ugly guy tryin to catch bait.

Bill

11. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I did not get back in time for your invite thanks anyway Mark. Did you catch anything? Keep me in mind in future trips, I may try to get down to the river next weekend.

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Beetle, it stunk, only a large drum on a 6" live shad, and turtle hits. went up from tanners and about 9:30 am, the pleasure boaters all started coming back down river from Cinci, 1 after another, at last 100 large boats with the whole river to use and all wanted to pass us ( anchored) within 50-100 ft so they could all wave. the wakes knocked us silly....we left around noon and the ramp at Tanners was filled with more pleasure boater with more money then sense were showing up and the few still around were taking out, what a sight, all those idiots at the ramp, does the term SNAFU mean anything to you? :smile2:

May try to get out next weekend, not sure yet, will advise later in the week

Salmonid

13. Capt.mike jr

Capt.mike jr New Member

State:
    ohio
    I was there this year trying to fish LMAO we did catch a 35lb flathead and 3 blues 2-10lb and a 16lb on sat. night butt it was crazy on sun. i heard there were 1800 boats and over 500,000 people there this was my second time and i promiss im done with it its to danderous.