Ohio river dam

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by m27dumbell, Sep 7, 2007.

1. m27dumbell

m27dumbell New Member

State:
    Erlanger, KY
    Did some bank fishing Thursday morning. Had a couple of good hits on shrimp right off the bat,missed. As I was getting going, was fishing for skipjack and that was going okay. I rebait with skipjack as went along. Caught a nice looking 3pound flathead on skip. Had my braided line broke/cut as reeling in a couple rather nice hookup that seemed to be good fish. 2 good fish lost due to line cuts, how can you overcome this problem bank fishing? I know some suggest a more with the current cast to try to nuetralize the currents effect.
    My rig is usually 3-4 ounce slip sinker with 6" leader and hook.
    Thanks, Brian

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    Switch to a good mono, (I use 40 lb Berkley Big Game), when fishing around all of those rocks. Braided line and rocks is not a good combo!

3. lebeaux

lebeaux New Member

State:
    ohio
    I used braid for a couple yrs but went back to mono. 40 & 50 lb Berkley Big Game ( good call, Chris ). It's about the most abrassion resistant line I've ever used and hasn't broken on me yet ( knock on wood ):wink:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Thats all you can do is switch, or if you are using 50 or 65lb braid go up to 80 or 100 or 130. I haven't had any problems breaking off with 80lb power pro. But the guys that use the 50 and 65 do if it gets any nicks. Or you could try striping off the last 3 to 5 ft every other trip or whenever you feel it scraping the rocks and re tie.

5. nite_stocker_69

nite_stocker_69 New Member

State:
    ohio
    you might have hooked into a gar, which is what cut your line. ive had gar bite my line in half before.