Ohio River Conditions

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Eudora, Dec 17, 2008.

1. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Hey Some guys and I are thinking about heading down to the Ohio sometime over the holidays. I've read in recent posts that the river was pretty high. Are conditions favorable for bank fishing? I'm looking particuarly at Newport Kentucky or below Meldahl Dam. If you live in the area or have been on the river lately, please let me know is the river levels are conducive to doing some bank fishing. Also, with that in mind, how have you guys been doing on blues in those areas of the river? We're coming down from the Toledo area, so I'd hate to get down there and not be able to fish. Thanks for your help.

Andy

2. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Andy,
    I live in the Newport/Bellevue area. I havent done any bank fishing in years, but their are some good spots. Right now the river is on the way back down for a day or so, then coming back up on the weekend. With winter weather as unpredictable as it is, theirs no telling where it will be next week(even the link katkiller77 provided isnt very accurate at times).

If the water is high....the Public Landing on the Cincinnati side should be a good spot for some blues/channels and will always be fishable(large concrete stairs 1/4 mile wide). I wouldnt skip just cause the water is high, the heavy current will turn the big blues on. Also their are some other, flood fishable areas, though depending on the water height. I only live 5 minutes from the water and could let you know how it looks before you come. Just hit me up.

As far as the fishing in general....the Meldhal pool is an excellent area. I have seen quite a few monster cat pulled out and caught some really nice ones myself. You can also look to a few other guys in this area like, tbull, catcrazed, riverking, prostreets10,catfishcrazy256 and whoever else I'm missing.

As far as the fishing....it seems to have picked up with the return of some current(water has been, low and lazy all summer/fall). I will be out this weekend, so I can give ya a report. Though that doesnt mean much....one day could have 200lbs in the boat, next skunked.

Also I dont know how many guys your bringing down, but most of us guys mentioned above are out on the weekend and alot of times have an open spot on the boat. Speaking for myself....I almost always can squeeze one or two on.

Otherwise, good luck and have a safe trip.:big_smile:

3. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Also I seen your post on the KY forum. The mouth of the Licking is a heavily fished bank spot. If the water isnt up much it should be fine to fish, though I do not prefer the spot itself much.

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    reps for helping a bro:big_smile: good work!......rollo

5. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    Chris:

Thank you. That was some very good info. I'll probably give you a shout before we come down. Good luck if you get out between now and then.

Andy

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I like the way you think my friend! 200lbs sounds do-able:big_smile::0a32:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Great tips Chris, only thing I would add is to make sure you fish the Ky side of the Dam if you do head that way. Alot deeper along the ky side and holds more baitfish, which in turn holds the blues. We have caught some on the Ohio side, but the water over there is usually very stagnant.

8. tackleholic

tackleholic New Member

State:
    New Albany
    I live less than 2 hrs from Meddahl Dam, New Albany of course & I'm about about 10 miles from The Falls of The Ohio. I've got photos of tree roots on my profile "Falls of Ohio", they're now submerged or partly due to the water being about 6-8' higher than normal.

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Those are some neat pics, where in the world is the falls of the ohio?

10. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Hey Eudora....I got out on the water Saturday afternoon. The water was about 7-8 foot above the normal stage and the current was extremely heavy(7-8 oz sinkers). Their wasnt much is the line of large debris, but couldnt seem to escape smaller junk(leaves, sticks, etc....). For myself, their wasnt much to talk about. Of course like I said, seemed like every time we found a good spot, we also found the smaller floating junk. But their was a couple other guys out having some success(catcrazed and kataddict). Heres the link to their post: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99208. I think the biggest being a 45lb. I'll keep ya posted if I get out anymore in the next few weeks.

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
  12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Id say its gonna come up definetely. Last I heard, rain almost all day tomorrow.:cool2: rollo

13. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Merry christmas too me...:roll_eyes:

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Fishing should actually be good on christmas day..LOL...I wonder if i can pull that one off with the wife.:eek:oooh:

15. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    May be holding off till Saturday, gonna fish above the dam in Ripley..

16. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Goodluck to you Travis! Catch ya a Christmas Blue!! rollo