Ohio River Commercial Net info

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jan 9, 2010.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    At the local Fishing and Hunting show last night in Dayton, I had a chance to talk to the DNR ( was a Butler or Hamilton county officer) about the usual stuff, ( 3 rod limit, commercial issues, etc) and I asked very specificly, this question, " since the Ohio and Ky guys are bound to the Ohio new catfish regulations when they use an Ohio ramp, then it would be safe to say that since Ohio does not allow any Commercial fishing Netting then it would also be safe to say that the commercial guys can not bring there catch back to an Ohio Ramp, am I correct??" He says absolutely!!, and that if we ever see a commercial guy bringing his catch back in to an Ohio ramp, ( he could set nets with no problem) that we should be calling the DNR Hotline (1-800-poacher) with discriptions of folks, take some pictures better yet, boat numbers, etc.but never confront them. As he put it, when they are on Ohio's shore, even with an Ky license weather it be for recreational fishing or commercial, they are now bound to Ohio regulations. I figured Id pass this allong since I know of at least 2 different groups using the Schmidt ramp year round and i assume at some pont they are launching at the public landing or elsewhere along Ohio since so many of the KY Licenses are held by Ohio Pay Ponders and such.

If anything, we can make it harder for them to be profitable by driving further to launch, we need to let the netters know we are watching them to make sure they are following the rues.

Salmonid

2. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio

3. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    AWESOME Great Info man Thanks !!! I wonder if I see them pulling in a netfull of nice cats to take to some paylake and shoot 'em with my crossbow if I could tell the officers "Yeah but you shoulda seen the size of that Asian Carp I missed" LOL :laugh1:

4. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    So let me get this straight, They said they can put in on the Ohio side and set his nets, but he couldnt bring the catch back to the Ohio side??? Why I ask is, because Our local dnr told me they arent allowed to put in on the Ohio side with nets in the boat to be put out. Said that if they are going to commercial net, they have to de everything from the Ky side. That would be even better.

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    .... and there's the problem. Does the left know what the right is doing?

Let me also add that after the big Paypond sting from last year (or two years ago?) that amounted to nothing more than a slap on the wrist if even that, is the fight even worth it?

Mark, you know better than anyone else, the manager of Schmidt field only cares about one thing..... the money that the guys are giving him. (ie: The crap from late last year is proof of that.) As long as someone is making money I doubt things are ever going to change. Make the commericial guys use the KY ramps and KY is going to get more income form gas stations, food joints, etc... At least right now the Cincy market is getting some money from the commerical guys after they rape and pileage the river.

Props to you guys for fighting the good fight. But with certain speciic happenings in the Cincinnati area with paylakes, I've done a 180 on my efforts. I'm trying to talk to guys and get their view points about why they fish paylakes and the such. After talking to alot of them they may nto be as different than us as I first thought. There are the ones though that don't get "it". Maybe there's room enough for both, I guess that's what a certain major Cincinnati fishing retailer has decided recently too. :dont-know:

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I dont think the paylakes can be stoped, there is over 200 of them in the tri state area of Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana.

This is a multi million dollar business, and we dont have the money to fight them.

Plus if all those paylakes closed down could you imagine how much more crowded our public rivers would be?

Somehow we need to coexist, but I dont know the answer.

7. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    What a mess,, two regs for the same water.

Up this way WV owns the Ohio River to the Ohio bank. One set of regs for the water unless you are fishing from the Ohio bank.

"...Current West Virginia fishing laws shall apply while fishing on
    the Ohio River proper or from West Virginia banks or in
    West Virginia embayments. The tributaries of the Ohio River
    above embayments, in both states, are not included as part of
    this agreement....."

8. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
    they are nearly impossible to stop, but we can make it as hard on them as possible. i have no problem with the idea of a paylake, IF it is done legaly and in a matter that wont ruin a fishery.

9. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Yes I agree no problems with paylakes (i personally wont fish em anymore) but they need to stick to there "bought" farm raised and leave the river fish alone, especially the Old HAWGS which is what they want to use for advertisement.

10. DANZIG

DANZIG New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    "Somehow we need to coexist, but I dont know the answer."

Easy enough. Paylakes to buy their fish from ONLY fish farms. Break the law and we ship you to Afghanistan and drop you off without a passport.

But that is not what all commercial fishing is about. Even without the paylake trade there are still profits to be made. And that is not necessarily a bad thing.
    We do have this Asian carp problem which is beginning to become a boon for commercial fishermen. And the more they catch, the less left to bounce off of our heads.

WV has no commercial fishing but as the carp move in, I bet we can get that changed. Lemons and lemonade! Sounds like more fun that what I am doing for a living now.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good info guys, I also dont have a problem with Pay ponds but as long as they are driving the commercial guys to take the publics fish, I have aproblem with that.
    Now the reason they can set there nets is that there is no law stating they can not have lots of nets on their boat in Ohio, but...when they bring more then the legal limit, they are overharvesting/over possesion whatever you want to call it.
    I agree with mellon, at least someone in Ohio is making money allowing them to launch from Schmidt but we all know that money is going in pockets, not going anywhere to help the ramp or the fishery out so if that money is lost, fine with me.

Salmonid

12. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    hmm i ran into a few douchebags down here at the ramp in aberdeen who were being snobs about everything, i asked them if they had any luck and they said they werent fishing they were netting, and only got 20's and 30's... and im pretty sure they own the paylake in hillsboro called willards...

13. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    There lies the problem, most dont stock farmed raised fish anymore, they stock trophy flatheads and bluecats.

They cater to people who dont have the means, nor money for a big boat and to fish the big rivers.

14. Jeremy Sheffey

Jeremy Sheffey New Member

State:
    Columbus, Ohio
  15. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Good point Mark. That money could be put to good use there at that ramp... lets say to maybe keep the ramp in later. A couple more log jam issues there and someone is going to end up sinking their big John Deere! I can see it now, the ramp fees will double in order to purchase a new tractor! :wink:

16. mr.seaark77

mr.seaark77 New Member

State:
    ohio
    i would be fine with pay lakes if thay would stick with channels and some of the smaller fish but they wont they rape our rivers of big blues and flatheads to put in little ponds so guys can catch them till they die these fish wont last in these places its all about the money and it will be hard to stop it will take all of us there is strength in numbers i cant stand to see this happen to our rivers the guys that our doing this dont care about the fish just the money it makes me sick i seen a guy a local pay lake owner last year at tanners with about 3500 pounds of blues in his truck he had got out of the river these fish was from 10 to 50 pounds by the time he got them loaded there was already six dead he took them and kicked them into the weeds in the back of the parking lot this happens all the time that is why i dont fish pay lakes we need to stick together on this and try to make it as hard on them as we can because it wont stop

17. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yeah but thats the problem right there. There is no limit on nets a commercial fisherman can set out. The longtime friend of mine that nets showed me his paperwork for 2009 that he had to fill out. Matter of fact Ive got it here on my comp. desk. It saids right on it that will the standard commercial netting license a netter can have 3 nets (hoop nets) and any additional net will be an additional $50.00, as for my friend he doesnt do this to make a living but just for some additional income and only has the 3 nets. As for the folks really raping the waters, theres no limit to how many nets they can have.

18. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Yep!!! That is the fellas from willards more than likely. If you drive by there paylakes there is a flatbottom boat outside with hoopnets sticking out of the boat right by the entrance.