Ohio River: Cincinnati Area

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Big Vert, Jul 23, 2006.

1. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

Has anyone been doing well lately? I've been catching fish, but nothing big. Not sure if I need to be going deep, or looking at some new bait. I've been fishing goldfish, creek chubs, cut skipjack and shad on the bottom. Catching fish in the 15-20 foot depths at night. What are you guys having success on?

2. CBH

CBH New Member

State:
    WV
    I fish the Ohio river near Marietta, and the last week and a half has been bad for the flathead fishing. (atleast for me) The ones that I've contacted have been at the mouths of feeder streams, and on live bluegill. Some guys have told me it's because of "Dog Days", but I'm not too sure that it's not because of the lack of a moon at night! The moon has been up all day and setting in the evenings. The action that I've been getting has been during the last hour of daylight...then nothin'!! Maybe there's an early morning bite. I've not been out early in the day.

3. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    I went on saturday night, I caught about 9....& flatheads, 2 channels..The biggest one was about 10 or 11 lbs...Nothing to write home to mom about..I was catching them off of live bluegill, and cut bluegill...The bite slowed way down after dark though

4. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We've been catching all our fish about 2 hours til dust. After dark the bite has been slowing down but we have been connecting with a few flats shallow and some nicer blues deep. The blues have all came off of 45 foot of water fishing ledges and stuff.

5. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    I have been having the same luck fishing for the flatheads, nothing over 11.5 lbs. No bites on cut bluegill, just live. All bites were after dark. Quit fishing around 12:30 both nights. Plan to do an all nighter this saturday.

6. Big Vert

Big Vert New Member

I was out Friday night from 7:00-3:30 and nothing. The water temperature was real warm, but I had nothing on cutbait, liver or goldfish. Maybe it will get better when the water temp catches up with the cooling off outside.

7. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'm starting to wonder if it will get any better at all this year.

8. fishhook

fishhook New Member

State:
    Willow Woo
    We was out last sat night just below the RC Byrd dam from 9pm untill 3:30am and only got hit a couple times with no hookups, was using cut shad on and off the bottom in about 12' of water which was 85 degrees.

9. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    We have got onto some flatheads, with a few running 15-20 pounds. But stop fishing for them, NOW! The blues are starting to turn on around here. We caught some nice ones last night. One was 24.7 pounds. We were marking some bigger ones just had to get in before the storm so we didn't get them. We are catching them a little deeper (35-45 feet) and most are coming from drift fishing. They have been hitting skipjack the best, but they actually have been hitting live bluegill pretty readily. Good luck and Tight Lines!

10. Davidsed505

Davidsed505 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey,
    Are those blues reachable from the bank? Don't have a boat and am coming down this coming weekend.

11. Bengalfan79

Bengalfan79 New Member

State:
    Alexandria, KY(CincyArea)
    I went on the bank near the 275 bridge near Coney Island between 10pm and 2am and caught six but nothing over 12 pounds. 1 Shovel, 1 Blue, and 4 Channel. They hit on cut shad (heads mainly), and had some runs on cut blue gill all on bottom. I haven't been fishing the river long but I think I will increase my odds dramatically with heavier weights. I am currently only using 4 oz. egg sinkers and am having trouble keeping my bait from drifting and getting hung up. Good luck to everyone on the Ohio!

Rob

12. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Rob,
    4 oz. isn't a bad size unless the river is up or you are fishing a heavy current area. Your best bet is to save your egg sinkers for the lake though and switch to bank or flat sinkers (less apt to roll). Good Luck!