Ohio River - Cinci - 7/30/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Weird day on the river yesterday, was supposed to have Pendog66 ( Nate) meet at my house around 8:30 am and go down from there but he was too tired from fishing the whole night before so I went down by myself, launched at Schmidt around 9:45am. Saw a bunch of skippies blasting stuff right at the ramp so I made a few throws and managed 6-8, 5" skippies and a nice shad, couldnt get the bigger guys... and so I headed to 2 known shad spots with only another 6" shad for my effort before I finally found some at the 3rd spot but that was an hour wasted. Water was around 28.5 ft and chocolate with tons of crap floating around including a few larger trees so I was always looking over my shoulder when anchored. While drifting, the current on the GPS ranged between 1.9 MPH and 2.1 MPH so drifting was out, time to anchor!

Weather was weird, got there, overcast and cool, then it started raining a little and got real cloudy, then it got sunny and humid!! then it freaking poured for about an hour then it got sunny and really windy, gotta love this Ohio weather eh??

first 3 hrs at 5 different spots, not a bite, then in the 2nd downpour, while the boat was bouncing up and down from one of the 20 or so barges that went by all day, I got a little pull down and managed a 14 lb flattie on a cut fresh shad head, then nothing for another hour then in the last hour at a new spot that we found 2 weeks ago, I managed 3 nice channels of 8.5 bs, 7.5 lbs and then at 7.0 lbs. Been trying to get pics uploaded but my internet is killing me ( IE Slooooooow), all on cut shad and the last 3 came around 3-4:30 in the high sun of the day.

Several random thoughts on the day, 4 bites, 4 landed fish, not bad for circle hooks, right Riverking??? total weight about 37 lbs in 4 fish so thats a nice average.

Fishing was slow until the last hour, sucks I had to leave then.

Had about 20 barges all go upstream keeping my boat a rockin....

To the dick-hole in the big bayliner who decided to pull his 2 little kids in a figure 8 on tubes about 100 feet out from the ramp at Schmidt,while was trying to load by myself, next time come a little closer so I can introduce you to about 12 oz of flat bank sinker!!!!

Salmonid
    PS Ill try to get the pics up later

2. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    yeah my bad on not making it mark, at least you managed some fish in the final hour. And its a good thing i wasn't there with bayliner moron because i would of been casting at him.

PS
    I probaly would of forgot my rain gear again so those railroad tracks would of been calling :wink::smile2:

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Mark sometimes it does seem strange out on the water. Biting one minute an like totally left the area the next.

4. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    least ya managed some nice fish mark,congrats

wow can't believe they were skiing and stuff with all that crap in the water

5. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Richard, what was worse was, as i was up and out, off the ramp sucuring the rig for the drive home, some guy comes in with about a 35 ft custom made from wood cigerette boat, trailer had tripple axles and this guy was doing some testing on the motor and all , this thing was cherry sweet looking, and when he got it out he was putting the hammer down, I wanted to watch him hit a floating stump or something but couldnt afford the time to watch, it was deafening as he fired that thing up. It was definately a " More money then sense" type of thing, very common on the Schmidt ramp.....

Salmonid

6. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mark, not bashing you at all, but how do you stand it.

I fished the ohio river twice from a boat, I could not stand it.

All the barges, all the speed boats, and idiots on the water, how do you ever realx and just fish..Not counting the pulling up anchors, docking the boat, unloading the boat, sounds like to much work and not enough fun.

I could not handle the stress, seems like you could just go to the gmr and bank fish and have a much better time. and catch bigger fish.

Sounds like to much stress for mr.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2009
  7. zmany2k

zmany2k New Member

State:
    APG, MD
    I don't know. Me and Mark went out once and didn't catch diddly squat. It was still fun, and there was a LOT of crap floating down the river.

Oh yeah Mark, Finally got my boat to my house so i can start working on it. Old starcraft deep vee. Goint to gut it and go from there.

It's been here for about three weeks now and so far all i've done is stare at it. Think today i'm going to start ripping wood out. Or take the motor off. not sure yet.

8. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Jack, while you have some good points I also feel the same way about bank fishing when I read some of your posts as well as some recent threads on OGF.
    I think, why would i want to spend hours ahead of time getting bait, keping it alive , lugging it around back to the house and then load all the gear up, try to find a place with no one on it, walk a mile with 125 lbs of gear and then battle mosquitos all day/night.

So there are advantages to the boat, I can leave all my gear in it in the garage, I can get bait at the river and not haul it all over the place, I can always find a place without other fishermen. and I enjoy no knowing what the next fish will be, Gar, Drum, Blue, Flat, channel, Striper, sauger, etc.
    As far as loading and unloading, as long as I am with someone, it takes about 3-4 minutes each way, no problem, and if I launch at schmidt, there is a safe protected place I dont have to worry about someone breaking into my lone car along a dark deserted road somehwere in the middle of the night. Also if i have someone like Mellon with me, he can be anchor boy so I dont have to throw my back out pulling the anchor up from 60 ft in current....:eek:oooh:

So as you can see, there are advantages both ways....I do enjoy watching the barges go by, ( a couple a night) but the other day was rush hour!!

Dont worry, Im hitting the GMR from shore this week at least once, probably 2 times.

Salmonid

9. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great points Mark, I guess fishing sucks both ways:big_smile::smile2:

10. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    i love fishing from a boat,haven't been on the river,well any river yet on a boat.

my dad just bought a 16 ft aluminum deep v the other day.we put it in deer creek and i got to play around in it while he went to get the trailer weighed and the rest of the happy stuff that goes along with it.i did go out to the middle o the shallower end,shut the engine off,kicked back and relaxed.it was actually quiet,and the waves were rocking me like a little baby,i love that.but i bet the waves on the river might be a hair bigger,lol

11. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    well,some people,you know how it goes,lol

ther was someone on deer creek in the shallow end hammerin down up there,even though it is a no wake zone.i was waiting for them to hit a stump or stick up out there.