Ohio River -Cinci- 11/29/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Salmonid, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Headed out with Fishdealer04 (Brian) today for about 4-5 hrs, launched out of the Public landing around 7:30 and fished all the way down to Northbend just trying a spot here, then there, just trying to find a little pattern but not much to report, big shad were easy to come by so I knew the fishing would be tough, its always that way..when bait is easy, fish are tough....:smile2:

Found several channels in all the usual spots but nothing over 6 lbs and most were smaller guys, Had a few other really good hits that were missed and had another one on but he came off, probably had a tough time with the 3.5" across shad head I was using. Long story short was the wind really hurt us today, seemed to be blowing across or upstream everywhere we went. Fish were scattered about in no particular area, just 1 here on some wood, another on some rock, 1 shallow, another deep, etc.

Highlight of the day was taking a 5-6 lb hybrid striper in the cast net and then seeing a nice pair of deer swimming all the way across the river, a 6-7 point buck and a doe, they were side by side then we drifted a little closer for a picture and the doe stalled while the buck was tottally hauling ass, never knew they could swim that fast. Pics are of them seperate since by themn they were about 75 ft apart. Hopefully Brian will get them uploaded but both made it across, pretty cool, left before the Ball game at 1:00 and headed home.

Salmonid

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    good report, i don't think i will be back out till either the water cools down or the river level comes up a lot.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I agree, was suprised water is STILL holding at 51.5-52 degrees, been that way for a month now.. we need it to get cold like its supposed to this week to drop temps down into the mid 40s and start sending fish into Winter Mode. I heard low of 20 on Thursday AM> :crazy:

Salmonid

4. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    well a low of 20 is a start, i'm out for at least next weekend as i'm playing mr mom:eek:oooh::sad2:

5. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Ya know, My uncle and I were just talking about this yesterday. Fishing has absolutely sucked on the river. Even though we have had decent current in cinci pool there have been hardly any good fish caught. My uncle has always said that to help out with the fishing budget we should only go fishing when conditions are IDEAL. That in our mind is up 4-5 feet with screamin current and MUDDY. Our boat has been sittin for a few months and that is why. He has a hell of a point. Travis and I have been on a few trips and been pissed both times at the end of the day. Clear water is never Ideal conditions to me. For instance, we go to Louisville a few times a year and we always go when we know that the river is rising and we are going to have good current and the water is gonna be up. We always seem to do fairly well when were there. I know that isnt the way to become a round fisherman I know but after the past several river trips I can honestly say he may be on to something.

6. Fishinfreak

Fishinfreak Member

State:
    North Bend,Ohio
    Mark sounds like a not so bad day.I fished Saturday and got 7 cats.Nothing over 18lbs.Small baits on float rigs anchored was the only way i could catch one.Drifted was not working in the same spots.Keep at it they are starting to school it seems.Had to love the weather this weekend.

7. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Not too bad of a day considering how the rivers been. Hopefully we will either get some rain, or a good cold snap so the fish will hole up and go into winter pattern. :confused2: