Ohio River catfishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by stangcrazy85, May 14, 2009.

1. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    headdin back on sunday to try out our luck again anybody have some advise fer me would be greatly appreciated we should have some shad this go round thanks

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Where are you fishing? From the bank or boat?

3. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    im gonna be on the bank no acess to a boat

4. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Try to find a spot that gives you access to some sort of structure, even an area that you know is fairly shallow will produce especially at night, and especially if there is a good amount of current. If you see any bait fish (Shad) flipping in the area even better. Wish I could help you out more man, I am sure there are some good articles in the library when it comes to bank fishing the rivers. Good luck when you go hope you smoke'em!:wink:

5. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    there is a bridge that crosses where i am fishing with log jams around the center piling but it's freakin deep right there any advise on that should i cast out about the log jam and piling and drift it to it or cast right past it ??

6. catfish361

catfish361 New Member

State:
    Blacklick, Ohio
    cast up river from the log jam. let the current take your bait down and in to the structure.

7. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    even though its just floating on the surface i really dont want to get snagged or any of that B.S but i'll give it a try sun nite

8. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd try a slip float with a live gill a couple feet under it. Let it float right up to the log jam. As soon as it hits it you'll have to horse him out of there or it'll wrap you up. I love fishing log jams, you'll get snagged and lose fish but the ones you do get should be pretty nice.
    Good Luck!!!

9. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    ok i will try it what if i fished up against the bridge piling do you supose it is large enough of a structure to hold some cats ?? of course it is close to the log jam anyway hell with it i'll try em both i have 2 poles
    thanks for the input and help

10. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Most difinitely worth fishing on bridge piling. Caught one of my bigger flats an some really nice channel cats in that kind of area. Log jams are also a super area to fish. If in a back water log pile of course toss right up into it! Got some current toss past an let it drift!