Ohio River Catfishing setups

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Massive Cat, Jan 24, 2008.

1. Massive Cat

Massive Cat New Member

State:
    Indiana
    what is the best setup for fishing the Ohio river?

2. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Great post Josh!! I was about to ask the same thing? Come on you guys share a Little knowlage here... But im a little weary of any info from DH and JW.. they might try to steer us away from the proper techs for there... LOL...

3. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Josh, are you talking about the boat or the rod and reel?

For rod and reel, I would say any large line capacity reel with a strong gear ratio. I prefer somewhere around 4:1. Mount this on a good solid MH to H rod. Depending on whether you are boat or bankfishing will help you to select the length of the rod. For boat rods I like a 6'6" to 8' rod and for the bank I like an 8'+, preferably ten or twelve footer for the bank. I recommend loading it with any line 30 pound test or larger. Larger sinkers are a must. 2 to 16 ounce isn't uncommon. I personally rarely use less than a 5 ounce myself. I like the three way rig. I rig my line with a sinker(usually a bank style sinker) tied to the end of my line. Then I tie a six inch snelled dropper loop about 12 to 24 inches above my sinker. I don't like the swivels though many people on here use them. Carolina rig is also common.

As far as a boat goes, any boat 16 foot or bigger is preferable. Aluminum hulls are nice, for several reasons. One, Jon and semi-V boats can tread in very shallow water. This can be a big plus when trying to gather bait. Also it takes less power on average to motor these style boats as a comparable fiberglass boat, cutting down on fuel consumption. But any boat that has enough power to push itself upstream in heavy current will do. Fitting a boat with rodholders is a must on the Ohio. Rodholders are fairly inexpensive and will save you money in the long run, especially after you see a hundred or more dollar rig go shooting out of the boat and flying across the top of the water.
    Vern

4. oh no

oh no New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Hey Vern,

My rods toooo short. Darn 12 footers for bank fishing. I only have 6-7 footers.

If I make it Down to that Indiana thing, the end of June, I'm really going to learn from you folks.

5. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Sweeet... Carolina rig is what i use.. so im good to go

6. joadb

joadb Member

State:
    Clinton, Ohio,
    my rig when fishing the ohio is-7 foot ugly stick tiger rods-abu garcia 7000c3's-30lb trilene big game mono-3 oz no roll sinker,bead then knot tied to barrel swivel,12 inch 50lb big game leader tied to other end of barrel swivel and 7/0 to 10/0 circle hook.i spent and wasted a lot of money on other gear before i refined my setup to this.it works perfect the fishing i do.hope it helps.

7. blazerjet

blazerjet New Member

State:
    indiana
    thats the best way ive found to fish the ohio too good info

8. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    For a boat, I use my 16' deep semi-v with a 25HP motor and have never had any problems....even below the dams. The biggest things you need to worry about on the Ohio are 1)Barges and 2)Debris floating down. Alot of times, the best holes will be in or near the barge lane. For that reason, I never throw more than one anchor and I always have a knife close by in case I need to get out of dodge in a hurry. It is amazing how quiet those things are...especially at night. As far as debris goes, I have seen huge trees and big acetylene tanks floating down that could definitely knock you off anchor. I guess what I am trying to say is BE ALERT!

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    I fish a 14' boat with a 25 hp merc and it handles to Ohio fine. I have never been nervous out there in this boat (of course, i don't go out when houses are floating down it!) but I have been nervouse in 17-18 foot boats before. It just depends on what the boat is made for. The scariest moment i've ever had on the Ohio was in a 17 foot fiberglass tri haul. Waves kicked up from a thunderstorm quick and it couldn't handle them, and I know my boat would have. So just take it easy out there, respect it, and learn as you go!

If you do plan on maybe having to cut your rope, which is a great suggestion, here is an idea. Tie a bumber (to keep boats from banging into docks) to your rope. This way, if you have to cut, you don't lose your anchor. You can get it later.

10. rmoran171

rmoran171 New Member

State:
    Cedar Grove In
    I have a 1978 16ft. procraft and its been a good cat boat for me for the last few years but the more i have learned in the recent past about catn ive changed my setup a lot. I know need a deep-v alluminum that i can put a larger bait tank in and can handle the ohio when it does get rough. Dont get me wrong my procraft was able to handle it but when the water does get rough i just like to have a little more stability and a boat i can put more weight in. Im currntly lokking at a 20ft starcraft with an I/O. It will take some modifications for my likeing but to me thats half the fun and a good winter project when the cabin fever sets in.
    Just my thought

11. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    Sounds lke a great boat. I just don't want to have to winterize one and leave it setting all winter, thats when the big boys bite and I like to be out there!

12. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    VERN HAS ABOUT GOT IT COVERED ,NOW IF WE COULD JUST CATCH SOME FISH LOL :confused2:

13. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    thanks for all the info guys every one has some good points to all of them but the main thing in all this is the river is mother nature an she has a mind of her own as one of u put it in the outher thread to be aleart at all times an give this river the respect that it deserves an every one will be fine

14. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I got a Lowe Roughneck 1760 last fall and am looking for some on advice on how to rig it up for fishing the Ohio. It has a 25hp Mercury 4 Stroke.

15. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rusty, welcome to the BOC. Sounds like you got yourself a good rig. If that boat was mine I would run some rodholders down both sides.at least put three at each side where the captain can reach the rods comfortable and three on each side where the anchor man can reach them comfortable. I have the attwood rodholders all around mine and I have never had a problem. The duo driftmasters also seem like a very nice rodholder. As far as anchoring, I would go with a 20 pound navy style anchor or a nice richter with at least 100 feet of good rope. More rope than that wouldn't be out of the question. Vern

16. Frog Legs

Frog Legs New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Vern, I have 6 flush mounted rod holders in the deck and back, but I'm working on a few more to go down the sides. Looking foward to trying the Ohio, which month have you had the best luck? Rusty

17. IndyCatGuy

IndyCatGuy New Member

State:
    Greensburg, IN
    Rusty...Wintertime is the best time in my opinion for blues, but late April into mid May has always been the best for me.

18. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Rusty, like Scott said the best time is usually in April and May during the prespawn for multiple species. I have done well for large blues in the winter months, but if I could only fish one month out of the year it would be November. Vern

19. rspd507

rspd507 New Member

State:
    Rising Sun,IN
    Rusty,
    I agree with Vern, and fish with him from time to time. This is the first year I winter fished and Vern and I totally tore the blues up in November with me catching my personal best. I also had some decent luck in December but the bite has seemed to steadily decline since that time. But I'll tell you this, Vern knows what he's talking about when it comes to catfishing and if you listen to him the numbers will come, he'll never steer you wrong. As far as rod holders, I mounted 5 atwood rod holders down both sides with 4 across the back made from 4 inch PVC pipe, an idea that I got from the BOC library. I know there are better holders out but these were the ones that fit my budget. rspd507