Ohio River, Cannelton Dam - 15 pound + Catfish

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by John Jennings, Nov 7, 2008.

1. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I have been fishing the Cannelton dam now for about 4 years. I am a member of the U.S Army and by no means an expert at catfishing! I have been fishing my entire life since I was about 5 years old and I can say that I can spend everyday for the rest of my life on the water! Cannelton started out as a challenge for me trying to fish the rock pile by gate #1. I have lost a lot of tackle and caught few fish, however this all changed a few weeks ago when I bought my first boat " Tracker ProGuide V17 ". Since my latest investment we have been killing the Blues. We catch 6-12 inch SkipJacks in the current and rips coming out of the dam and throw whole or cut right up into the boils. This takes about 10 minutes and the rod is bending over the side"fish on!" We are catching on average 15-20 pounders with the occasional HAWG going 30-40! With the action at Cannelton I can't see myself going anywhere else for complete non stop action!! I am always open for tips and suggestions from you more senior veterans of the ohio river so please feel free to help me out and good luck out there!!!!

John Jennings

2. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    If anyone has any information on some tournaments or where I can find a tournament calendar please let me know!!

Thank You,
    Fish On!!

3. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    There are lots of tournaments in that area, just cruise thru the tournament link on the home page.

Welcome to the BOC,this site is full of good info and great people

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    John,
    Welcome to the BOC, thank you for your service and congratulations on finding a "formula" for Cannelton...W

5. crazyKat

crazyKat New Member

State:
    kentucky
    hey john where u from in ky? we have a small tourny that comes to hawesville every other month. we was just there 2 sundays ago. the dam is a good place but in the tourny's u cant go past the red mark on the wall. no getting up to close to the dam or the rocks. i suggest looking other places to fish. there are some spots that when the dam isnt producing fish these other spots will and HUGE fish. i have fished hawesville my whole life. i love the dam but sometimes they just arent there. the tourny i was in i got 1st place in hawesville. i caught my first fish at the dam it was a 27 pound flat head. then nothing after that. i set there for 4 more hrs with 15 other boats around me and didnt see anyone catch another fish so i moved down river found a spot and caught a 9 pounder and a 35 pound blue. keep your options open. email me a private and i will tell u about my next tourny. its in henderson on the 23rd

6. John Jennings

John Jennings New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I was there during the last tourney and didnt enter, bad mistake and wont happen again! I would love to know about every tournament that comes along. I am from Fort Knox and will be here atleast the next 2 years before I head back to the Lock and dam#2 on the cape fear. my email is recon618@yahoo.com and I will drop you a private message soon. Thank you!

7. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    John, welcome to the B.O.C. , thanks for the report. Plenty of tournaments around these parts

8. mankind

mankind New Member

State:
    ashland ky
    welcome to boc wish fish were biteing that :cool2:well here (ashland area)

9. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I was at Knox last year and had great success fishing around west point. If you go down river about 4-5 miles there is a big ole bend there by the park. Great fishing and a very deep hole