Ohio river by henderson ky

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by roger long, Jun 12, 2008.

1. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey im come to fish where can i catch some skip jack and where would be a good place to start fishing?

2. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    help me please. i dont want to know your secret spots i just need to know a good place to get started at?

3. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger,
    The place to find skipjack would be Newburgh Dam. That's quite a ways from Henderson and you would be better to trailer up there to launch. There are fish to be had all along the Henderson stretch. The KY side opposite the Dogtown ramp is ideal for drifting if conditions are favorable. As wild as the river has been you are really not at any disadvantage being from out of town. Everyone is going to have to re-learn the river and find out what is new and what has changed. Just a case of finding the fish in their remodeled habitat...W

4. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I don't know about skipjacks, but I was out last night and the shad are pretty thick right now. Especially in canoe creek. That is about 3 miles down river from the boatramp. If you go down about 3 more miles you will be at an old dam that got blown up a while back. That whole side of the river has ALOT of structure and holds alot of fish. Hope this helps. Good luck to ya. BTW, I had some luck on shad heads last night.

5. roger long

roger long New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks to dankitch and Metalman for info on finding skipjack and shad.
    Are either of you fishing the Cabelas KingKat classic in Sept 08??

6. puma

puma New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Roger, The waste water plant is before you get to canoe creek. When the water is down you can see the discharge pipe from the plant. Shad are always thick around the pipe. Also the Island directly across from there is a pretty good place to fish. We pulled a couple 20 and 30 lbers from that area last year.

7. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey Dan, Is canoe creek 3 miles downstream from the boat ramp WE fished from when I came down there for the henderson gathering? the same stretch of river as in your avatar, I believe, right? And when you get to this dam, Is it easy to spot, or is it all under water? I remember everyone talking about it. and I would have liked fishing it when I was there last time. If it had'nt stormed the last day I would have. I'm wanting to come back down there soon. and, I'd like to see if i can lose a couple of anchors in the rocks. and maybe hook up with a couple of monsters.

8. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Mark, that dam is underwater but can be seen on a fishfinder when going over it. Canoe creek is about 3 miles down from the ramp and the old dam another mile from the creek.

9. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Roger,
    Hell no:wink:....I don't do tournaments. I think Danny is though...W

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.