Ohio River Boating

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by armyhooah, Jul 25, 2009.

1. armyhooah

armyhooah New Member

State:
    Lebanon, Ohio
    What is the smallest boat that would be safe to catfish out of for the Ohio River?

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    With so many style boats you are sure to get a lot of answers. In fact I don't think there is an answer. With the barge traffic, pleasure boater traffic, whitecap waves from the wind and all, it can be a very dangerous river. What kind of boat do you have?

3. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Yes that is a tough question. If on the banks an not near the barges an such a 12ft would be ok I am sure but safety can't be determined only prevented with life preserves an such. Not going to been out there myself with anything less then 14/17 footer.

4. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    A few years back I fished a Pro 16 Bastracker, Totally safe on the Ohio. But one night 2 young men in another 16 footer of a different design were swamped by barges just upriver from Gallipolis near Chashire and lost there lives.:sad2:

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That river is big and the water conditions can change in a hurry!

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I would go with he biggest, and highest powered boat you can afford. I have a 19 1/2 ft deep V, standing inside the sides come up to your waste, and have had waves still come in the boat. It can real dangerous out there in a hurry, especially if you are wanting to fish the winter months as well...

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    Its simple...better safe then sorry...like tbull said get the biggest you can afford its only gona cost a lil more ne way..ive been on the river for years from a 12 ft. jon to a 24 fter and i will tell ya contions can change in a hurry at times...fog is my worst enemy, but if you have a new boat and have never been on the river, try fishing lakes first and get to know your boat b4 venturing out on big water...good luck to ya and stay safe..no big fish is worth a life :wink:

8. andrew76

andrew76 New Member

State:
    southwest ohio
    I wouldnt go no smaller than a 18 footer.

9. Wabash River Bear

Wabash River Bear New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have fished the Ohio several times in my 1652 with no problems. As with any boat in any situation, you have to be aware and use your common sense. I wear a pfd. I rarely anchor fish the Ohio, I normally drift, with my trolling motor in the water I can control the drift and turn the bow into big barge and big pleasure boat wakes when I need to.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    My boat is great on the Ohio and is only 16'6". On the other hand it is over 7' wide and is a huge deep V with very tall sides. I think width is as important as length for stability. There are also times that I would not want to be out there in a bass boat if it was 22' long.

11. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I fish from a 24' pontoon and I have seen water 2' deep wash over my deck. You have to be careful and safe. No fish is worth your life. Personly I would not be caught out in anything less than 16'. But you have to be comfortable and confadent in your boat. So it is mainly a personal choise. Good luck and safe fishing!!!

12. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Iagree with most evertything everyone before has stated but wanted to add that if you are looking, Id stay away from a bass boat style and stick with a deep V, they cut through the high waves better, are more stabil in heavy chop and a winshield is certainly nice for ducking behind bow splash!!

Id fish in a 14 ft deep v over a 16 ft flatbottom jon anyday. There are lots of things on the big river to contend with such as barges, pleasure boaters, boiling currents, fog is a big one!! ( GPS FF unit is a huge help) as is knowledge of the bouys and where and how the barges operate and lastly the debrie can be very dangerous!! The Ohio River is not like a big lake so make sure you go with a few friends who are knowledgable and you can trust your ride 100% before you do it alone.

Safety is paramount on the Ohio!!

Salmonid

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree that fog can be your biggest enemy regardless of boat size. I was out there a few weeks back and me and a buddy both fell asleep fishing only to wake up with fog rolling in. I started down river when I saw the fog was starting after about 10 minutes it was as thick as could be. I couldn't see 20' passed the boat, couldn't see either bank. It would be very easy to end up heading down river instead of up or at a bank when your trying to head up river. There was a barge and I couldn't even see it except for the long white spear (barge light). I decided time to get to a bank and tie up and sleep until the fog passed.

14. longhaulpointer

longhaulpointer New Member

State:
    ohio
    i'm new to the river and boating in general. I have a 16 1-2 lund tyee and the best advice i can give you is be prepared. I went out 1st with a guy who knew what the heck he was doing and he gave me some good advice. Always have something that you can cut the anchor rope with in a hurry, those barges come at you a lot quicker than you think when your trying to pull up an anchor in 60 feet of water. Also, i wouldn't go out with out a trolling motor or some sort of back up. If your main motor fails, your trolling motor can at least get you back to shore or out of the way of a barge. And lastly, if your in cincy watch out for the drunks