Ohio River Boat Ramp Help

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by H2O Mellon, Dec 27, 2005.

1. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hello everyone. I am not real good with locations on the Ohio River because it's not an area that I've fished much before. This coming year, it is going to be my personal goal to fish it regularly. As I've posted before, my boat is not ideal for the Ohio as it's a 14 foot Bass Tracker Pro Guide w/ a 9.9 Mercury, but I am going to give it my best shot. Can anyone give me some locations w/ ramps. I am looking @ places as close to Dayton as I can get. I would also like to launch & fish whereever the Great Miami runs into the Ohio. Now granted I am not going to be anywhere near the locks or dams becasue my boat is too small. I was just hoping to find an easy to launch at ramp w/ less than a two hour drive time from Dayton. I'll be in year #4 of my catfishing life & really plan on having this as my 1st real successfull year. Last year was the 1st year that I landed Ohio Flatheads, this year my goal is to break the 35# mark. If anyone has suggestions feel free to reply or PM me.

Thanks everyone.

2. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    downtown cincy there is a huge ramp thats right next to the i-75 bridge, thats probably the closest. the next closest i would say is the ramp at shawnee lookout on the gmr just before the ohio. the ohio,s probably 1 mile downstream with some dandy holes in between. only problem is the canal out from the ramp is silted in from last winters flood. cant get a boat out to the river at all. last i was down there was in july and the ranger told me they were probably going to build a new ramp downstream. you might want to contact the state to see what they're doing down there. if you find out let me know. theres also a ramp where the little miami dumps in too. never been to tanners creek so i dont know if it closer or not.

3. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Bryan,

There is a ramp with dock and free launch plus dirt field parking at New Richmond. Take I-75 to I-275 east, to Route 52 east into New Richmond then right on Augusta Street... dead ends at ramp. Last time I used this ramp, there was a bit of a dropoff at the end of the ramp pavement.

There is a ramp with dock and paved / lighted parking, $5.00 use fee required, at Woodland Mound Park. Again, Route 52 east to 9 Mile Road, turn right into park then left to parking and ramp. There is a metal box with envelopes for the use fee. Bring a pen to fill out the information on the envelope. Nice ramp and dock, easy access to 9 Mile and 10 Mile Creeks. Even a slight currant can make docking, retrailering a workout.

There is a ramp with dock, paved / lighted parking and attendent on duty at Schmidt Field. (I believe the launch fee is $10.00) Take I-71 south to I-471 then exit at Columbia Parkway (route 50) east bound, to St. Peters Street, turn right.

There is a ramp with dock, paved / lighted / attended parking at Riverside Park. (I believe the launch fee is $10.00) Take I-75 south to Route 50 west, to Idaho Street, turn left then right into park.

There is a ramp without dock, dirt field / unlighted parking at Shawnee Lookout County Park. A use fee is required. I don't know the price and I believe you have to pay at the park office. Also, the ramp is actually in the Great Miami, a short distance up from the Ohio. Again, Route 50 west to Town of Cleves, turn left on Mt. Nebo Road, right on Lower River Road, left on Miamiview Road and access to ramp will be on right.

I don't know of any other ramps into the Great Miami.

Mike

4. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    I saw on the Internet where New Richmond has been awarded a $65,000 dollar grant for improvements for the ramp and parking lot and dockage,the ramp isn't real bad easy to launch a big boat like mine, now the parking lot was nothing but grass and super big chuck holes that would eat trailers for lunch, the dock was nothing but pure torture, the Fire Dept takes care of chasing it down on the river when it lets go, but many times we witnessed people falling off of it and into the river because it was so bad.

There is a brand new ramp the state just built in Moscow, Ohio which is just three miles below the Meldhal locks, it is a great ramp, lots of dockage, felt the state should have put a wingdam just above the docks to help protect them because in early spring floods they are going to take a beating, the only thing they did wrong was down the middle of the ramp is a concrete diversion channel to channel water away from the ramp and into the river it is the width of about a size 10 shoe, figure somebody will step in it and snap there ankle off.

Brian, also go to one of the fishing shows in 2006, ODNR puts out a publication called Ohio River Fishing guide, it lists every park, and boat ramp for West Virginia, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana and Illinois...........Doc

5. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks Doc, I will do that.

I looked @ Tanners & think I could put in there w/out much problem.

6. whitewhiskers

whitewhiskers New Member

State:
    Evansville, Ind
    not sure where to post this but here goes, i'm planning on making the gathering at Ky. lake in sept. and want to drive my 23ft cuddy cabin there from Troy indiana the ? i have is GAS? where can i plan on refueling at on the way down? dont want to be dragin 5gl cans up n down the bank you know. but i dont want to be carryin 25 gal. of extra weight. any help would be great! also i have a merc/Gm inboared, runs on reg. no mix.

7. pendog66

pendog66 New Member

State:
    Brookville OH
    hey Bryan you tell me when you want to go and im all over it, we need to hook into some monster Blues

8. Abu65

Abu65 Member

State:
    Kentucky
    H2oMellon, I fish the Ohio all the time lets try to hook up sometime this spring, you can either fish with me in my boat or bring a buddy & fish out of your boat. Ill show you around, what little I know!

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
  10. Catbird

Catbird New Member

State:
    Fayetteville, Ohio
    Melon, also 1 river bend below Meldhal dam is a nice boat ramp. The state built 2 new piers last summer. It is in the town of Neville, OH. Very large parking lot there also.

11. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Thanks for the help guys.

12. catfishbill33

catfishbill33 New Member

State:
    Clarksville, TN
    Mike and Bryan,
    I went down to the ramp at 9mile and it was a bit risky.They [the park workers ]ha been doing some work with a endloader and had pushed the de-bree into the place of the ramp
    catfiskbill33

13. chris369145

chris369145 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati,Ohio
  14. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    does any one know if the ramp in downtown cincy by the I-75 bridge is open year round,I have been calling a few of the ramps and marinas down there and most are closed for the season.Any body put a boat in down there latley was thing of going this weekend.

15. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    went down to the newport aquarium in january, ramp is right across the river and i seen folks with boat trailers parked on the ramp. so i'd assume its open. anyone know if its open 24hr and if its safe to leave a vehicle parked in the area at night?

16. Doctor

Doctor Member

State:
    Springfield, Ohio
    Yeatman's Cove is the name of the launch ramp, free public ramp, it used to be under the the old reds ball field, good ramp have to be careful as along the sides are major drops, yellow lines painted on the ramp think there are two of them just stay in between them, I have launched there a few times but only during the day light hours, theres a gate at the entrance that they lock up at 11pm and open at 6am so if you launch and come back after 11pm your going to be on the river all night.

As much at it pains me if I want to fish downtown I pay the 10 dollar launch fee and launch out of Schmidit feild which is five miles up river.

If New Richmond builds there new one with there $65,000 Grant money I'll launch from there and I know it won't cost me ten dollars in gas to drive from there to downtown, fishing downtown is very good after 3am when the bars close and all the boat nuts that shouldn't be drunk are under the wheel of there boats trying to manuver back to there trailers, the restraunts are major hotspots for Flatheads and big channels feeding on patron scraps that have been thrown in the water, during the week if I'm on vacation then I really like fishing downtown, no traffic and the fishing can be fantastic if you have good current............Doc

17. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Thanks for th infor doc I might give it a try this weekend I got a freezer full of skippes to use.

18. sliprig1

sliprig1 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    If you want to check out Tanner's I'll be glad to show you around. A couple of warm days and the c/cats will turn on. March is prime for blues. If nothing else you can scout for spring.

Mike

19. jwfish

jwfish New Member

State:
    columbus ohio
    Sliprig1 do you need a indiana fishing licence to fish out of tanners creek,if so when do there licence renew ohio will renew at the end of febuary.

20. duxsrus

duxsrus New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We were using the ramp at the Public Landing last year in October and they weren't locking it up at 11:00. I'd a had a set of bolt cutters on the way if they did.