Ohio River ~ Blue Cats

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Jan 24, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Well ... after searching for 2 1/2 hours I finally found the News Release I posted the other day that wiped out .... It mostly pertains to those that fish the Ohio River, but I am sure of some interest to others of us ........

COLUMBUS, OH — The Ohio Division of Wildlife recently removed the Blue Catfish from the state endangered species list, therefore making it legal to catch and possess.
    According Division of Wildlife fisheries biologists, joint research conducted with the Kentucky Department of Fish & Wildlife Resources concluded that Blue Catfish populations in the lower Ohio River were substantial enough to warrant down listing the Blue Catfish from endangered to “species of special concern”.

“Our studies indicated that the numbers of Blue Catfish were more abundant then first thought,” said Rich Zweifel, fisheries biologist with the Ohio Division of Wildlife. “Our sampling on the Meldahl pool found good numbers big Blue Catfish between 40-42 pounds, with a few over 50 pounds.”
    Ohio’s largest populations of Blue Catfish are found in the Markland and Meldahl pools of the Ohio River between Cincinnati and Portsmouth. Blue Catfish can attain a weight of over 100 pounds. The current Kentucky State Record is 104 pounds and was caught from the Ohio River.
    At one time Blue Catfish were common in the Ohio River, but after construction of the locks and dams their numbers were reduced significantly. According to biologists, populations of Blue Catfish in the Ohio River above the Greenup Dam are low in comparison to the populations in the Meldahl and Markland pool. Only West Virginia is currently rearing and stocking Blue Catfish.

2. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    I sure hope to get down there and check them out this summer. I have only fished for blues once but I had a blast

3. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    blues are getting bigger inmy area southern in, below markland dam :roll_eyes:

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Its a good thing you are retired huh Garry lol.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    This has been the first full winter I have been able to get out on the big river a fish consistantley, and I have caught more fish...(blues)..Than I caught all last spring and summer combined. It is really a blast.:roll_eyes:

6. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    Travis what depths or areas are you having the best luck in lately?

7. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    This is my first year i have ever fished for blues on the ohio river. Caught a bunch of fish it's been alot of fun learning a new style of fishing.