Ohio River Blue Catfish

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by Catmaster9786, Nov 23, 2008.

1. Catmaster9786

Catmaster9786 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Hey guys i am heading down to the Ohio River in a few weekends to go after big blue cats(Hopefully). I was wondering if any section of the river is better than others. I live in Columbus and i was gonna head towards the cinci area. Please let me know if there are better portions/pools that i should go to (i am fishing out of a boat too)? I was also wondering if there was a place to buy shad or if i should bring the cast net. Please let me know of any information you have, thanks so much:smile2:

2. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    go to the gathering on the 6th bro...cant go wrong,thats why im going, good luck ..cya on the water

3. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Definitively....hit up the gathering! Im sure folks will have extra bait to spare, you'll be close to many good spots and you'll have a lot of river knowledge right their with ya before you launch.

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The closer you get to Cincy, the bigger the blues get. Some members have good success fishing right downtown. Good luck with your trip brother

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    The blues in the Cincy area usually are very thick, however it seems like the size comes from New Richmond up river to the dam, and below Cincinnati from about the delhi area down river to the Indiana line, and the high catch numbers come in between. I am tellin ya man I was waiting on the winter time for a reason, the Markland pool is a great blue cat fishery, which is the pool between the Meldahl dam, down river to the Markland dam. You cant go wrong anywhere in between. Good luck, try to make it on the 6th bro we would love to have ya out!:wink:

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    One more thing, you shouldnt have to big of a problem finding bait. Bring your throw net, most of the feeder creeks, marinas, etc.., in the area hold shad. But it may not be a bad thing to have some already on hand. I plan on loading up after we launch on the 6th, that way if someone not from the area is having trouble I will have some to spare..

7. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    it usually pretty easy to get bait outta the ohio with a cast net:cool2: