Ohio river blue catfish

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by bigcatkev, Nov 3, 2006.

1. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Well went today and boy was the river high. No ramp in madison but did manage to get on the river. Caught 5 decent fish and 1 nice blue. Took the rod down all the way in the water. No scales so dont know how big. Take a guess?

Attached Files:

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Thats a hell of a blue man, Id say 50 easy..Nice fish bro

3. billcatfish

billcatfish New Member

State:
    evansville Ind
    nice cat the river is still high here in evansville to going to try to make it out next weekend i hope thanks for sharing

4. dg775577

dg775577 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    WTG Kevin that's a whopper!
    I like putting in at Madison. Upriver from the bridge, maybe a mile there are some swirls on the Indiana side. The bottom is up and down in that area. Have you fished there with any luck?
    I went there a few times this summer but got blanked.
    Looks like it would be a good place.

5. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Kevin, congrats on a great catfish. Dave, the area above the bridge you are talking about has produced well for me at times. There are about three points there in a row. all of them can produce fish at times. I don't fish it much myself though cause I like some of the holes downriver better. Vern

6. ka_c4_boom

ka_c4_boom New Member

State:
    Bedford,Ky
    nice fish kevin id say 50+ from the pics , did you launch at milton across the river or from the street in madison ?

7. mack5522

mack5522 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    nice fish thanks for posting the pics.

8. Coyote1

Coyote1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Brother Hashman;
    Kevin, that is a really NICE Blue. I'm not much on guessing :embarassed: [which is why I bought that 220 Lb Coffey scale!:lol: ] but based on the ones I have caught, what others have told me that did have scales, and from looking at all the photos of the larger "Kats" on our site, I would say 50-60 Lbs would NOT be too far off!
    Ya know, you really should get one of those Coffey scales! Get the bigger one that goes up to 220 Lbs and that way if you get one that is about half the size of your boat, or one that you had to tie yourself to a tree along the back to keep from being pulled in, you will be able to get a good measurement of the weight of the critter!
    I've had mine for two months and did some testing of my own on it and I have to say that it is the best "Bang for the Buck" going right now! Especially with the BOC discount we get too!:big_smile:
    It's a GREAT catch and "THANK YOU" for sharing it with us!
    Fraternally and Cordially,
    Coyote1
    [[[[End of Post]]]]]

9. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice fish! Maybe you can teach me how to catch them sometime.

10. carp46755

carp46755 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Nice fish. Looks like you had a good day.

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Kevin thats a nice fish. It's bigger than anything I have ever caught so I can't guess size. Thanks for sharing the pics and Good Fishing.:lol:

12. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    AWESOME FISH! My guess is 50-60 pounds. My real guess is 56.24 pounds :big_smile:. Awesome fish though! if you get length and girth you can get a pretty accurate weight online. I have a 50 pound scale but I don't think it woulda done any good for that fish, lol!

13. bigcatJoe

bigcatJoe New Member

State:
    indiana
    It look like a 42 pounder to me.

14. bigcatkev

bigcatkev New Member

State:
    indiana
    Joe you wouldn't know what a 42 pounder looks like since your afraid to even drive your own boat. When you can go out and catch one like that on your own let me know.lol:haha:

15. skippie2use

skippie2use New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Ski is prob. pretty close. Right around 55. Nice job again kev.

16. SkiMax

SkiMax New Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN
    what can i say shane-i'm good :smile2:

17. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Thanks for the post Kevin, I need to see those pictures to keep from giving up. I wouldn't have any idea what it weighs. My little scale only goes up to 20# and the spring hasn't had much tension ever put on it.
    :lol:

18. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Nice blue man, I would say around 50lbs is a good guess. A big cat like that in high water and heavy current has got to be some fun.:big_smile: