Ohio River - Biggest blue catfish in the Cincinnati area?

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by tbull, Nov 27, 2007.

1. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Hey guys, just wondering if anyone knows the record for Blue Catifsh caught in the Markland pool?? It seems like most of the fish caught that have any size don't get much past 40#. Just wondering if anyone knows any different. :roll_eyes:

2. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cincy area ooops.

3. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    I hear of lots of 20-25 lbers but only a few bigger then 30lbs. Not sure what gives but as numbers keep increasing like they have over the last 10 years, we can hope the size goes up as well if folks are good about careful releases.

Salmonid

4. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    I went with a guide outta Cincy back in 01 or there about. I saw his booth at the boat show full of pics 40 to 50lb range blues. So they are in there. In a few more years Ohio might just have a listing for a state record. They just took them off the endangered list this year.

5. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    From what I here from some sources I have, blues will be eligable for state record in March of 2008 at the earliest..It is in the works now. But yeah the guide your talking about caught a blue from that area that was 53 pounds I believe. So they are definantly in there, but you got to remember the Markland pool is 90 some miles long, i think 91, but could be 98..So they got a long strecth of river to roam around in. Oh it was good talking to you Skip.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Cool, thanks guys just curious...they do have alot of water to roam through dont they?....:wink:

7. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Forgot to mention we were fishing for flats this summer and we saw a big blue floating dead on the river right below the city, every bit of 50lbs. It had a sack that looked like a balloon hanging out of one of its gills. I wonder if this fish died because it wasn't burped? What a shame it was the biggest Blue I have seen with my own eyes on that stretch of river.:sad2:

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    Travis, Im glad to see someone mentioning the term "burping". The only reason i bring this up is for all the catch and release fans out there that may be hurting the fish evan though they are releasing them back. I am fairly new to catfish1 so this may be old news to everyone.
    How many of you out there have caught a Blue, or any catfish for that matter and its stomache been rock Hard? Many people think this is because the fish have been eating like crazy and in most cases that is just not true. When you Catch a fish out of Deep water say 40+ feet of water the pressure change is unreal when you get them to the surface. Think about it have you ever swam and went deep enough it hurts your ears or your ears pop? I unfortunately thought that same thing. That when a catfish has a hard stomache it has just been eating like crazy. I have read literature about how Cats have a less that 50% survival rate if the are let go without being "burped" that is if it came out of deep water and its stomache was really hard. These fish need to be "burped" to release the pressure. For instance the fish in my avatar came out of 50+ feet of water and when we got him in the boat his stomache was very hard. after burping the fish with a small short piece of pvc pipe his stomache was just as soft as if you had caught a cat out of a farm pond. That goes to show that these fish are not full of food but full of air. air that puts so much pressure from the inside out that its stomache is hard as a rock. I just watched an episode on bill dance the other day where he was "drifting for blues in the mississippi river and they caught a 40+lb blue. Bill said "man look at how hard that fishes stomache is, he must be just eatin like crazy down there in that deep water". Not that im questioning the experts at all cause bill dance is no doubt my idle. They evan said they were fishing 50+ feet of water which tells me that fish needed burped, and if the literature is correct means that fish very well could have died. Just a bit of info for those who really care for the fish. If any one needs to Know how to purp these amazing fish just say so and me or someone else on catfish1 will answer how to "burp" them. It is for sure something that all catch and release fans should participate in. Trust be The fish will love you for it:wink:

9. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    We started doing this the other day, the bigger blue the 26lber already had burped himself, and another channel i actually burped on accident, but atleast it worked. Seeing that monster dead blue has really made me take a second look at this.

10. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    well for anyone out ther who is interested in knowing how to burp a blue or any cat for that matter here is how it can be done. If you catch a catfish out of deep water and its stomache is Hard, this is how we burp our blues and channels we catch. Take a very small piece of 1/4" pvc pipe about 18 inches long or so. When the fish is lieing on the boat floor, ease the pvc down the fishes throat. It goes in very easy so if you feel that you have to force it something isnt lined up right and you may do more harm than good. as you ease the small piece of pvc down the fishes throat it will let out a tremendous amount of air. It really does sound like a loud "burp". A lot of people may think im crazy because evan the catfish tournament followers don't seem to think this is a good Idea and do not do it. I have talked to a local commercial netter from around and he evan agreed that many fish caught in nets out of deep water will die if there arent burped. He said he learned this the hard way as he was having lots of fish die over night after getting them out of the nets and in holding tanks and didnt know what was causing it, but he did know that the fish dieing were the ones netted in the deeper water. Now that he burps the blues and channels that he nets he saids he has no fish dieing on him at all. That right there is a proof if ive ever seen it. Before I knew about burping i would always wonder what why some of the cats i caught would let out that small burp. A consistant stream of air coming out of his mouth. I wish i would have known that was only the beginning of it and he needed to be burped to get the rest of the immense pressure out. by the way im not a commercial netting fan but atleast we got something useful out of the commercial netter, that may save many fish if people start participating in this.

11. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    fyi, there is a video link for this topic(burping) in the catfishing video section of the boc. i have to say ,good for you guys! spead the word to those who are unawear of what they are doing!

12. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    wow it will be nice to have that kind of fishery near Dayton. around here the only way you get blues is paylakes Ohio river will not only set a state record but maybe the world record thanks for the post merry Christmas all

13. CincyCat

CincyCat New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Catfish burping.....I never heard of such a thing, but it makes sense!!!

Thanks for the info!!