Ohio River between Maysville/Cincinnati

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by brother hilljack, Oct 24, 2007.

1. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am seeking information in regards to the Ohio River between Maysville and the Cincinnati areas. Overall is this a good stretch of river? Has anyone caught any big blues here? In general terms, what are the "hot spots". I have been told that the river was only good on the West side of Cincy! Any info would be helpful, thanks!

2. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

The whole markland pool is good for blues...Ive caught numerous big ones around cincy...I think Maysville is above Meldahl though isnt it? Cincy is below Meldahl.

3. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I'm not too sure about what's what in that area, that is why I posted. Thanks for your help though. I know that Markland is a good area, but isn't that on the West side of Cincy?

4. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I am from Aberdeen, OH which is right across the river from Maysville. It is above the Meldal locks. I know a few nice bank spots, to poor for a boat. I do have luck with the blues nothing to big but i have got a few nice ones. They are considered endangered in Ohio as the river is the only spot you can catch blues in Ohio. The nice thing about this area is you can fish the banks from each side with eithers lincense. IE. I fish KY banks with an Ohio lincense. all thought I have better luck on the OH side. Where is you home?

5. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    I am from the Chillicothe area but I am in the Army, currently stationed at Ft Knox, KY. I am interested in that area because it is close enough that I would be able to fish it this December......Yep December. Everyone around here (BOC) claims some good catfishing in Dec so I'm going to try it out! Thanks for your help, I am familar with Aberdeen.

I retire from the Army in 5 years also and will be looking for some good acreage on the Ohio in that area.........nothing like fishing during retirement!

6. rustyhook36

rustyhook36 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I fish in the maysville area for bluecat, and have had good luck. Nothing giant yet, but some nice ones. right across from maysville is a power plant with a warm water discharge. This is a good place to get bait. Down river from there are some deep holes. Outside bends in the river are a good place to start. Good luck, and let us know how you do.

7. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ranger4u you are in luck there just happens to be sevral power plants in this area with warm water discharges. one even has a public access spot for parking and is a short walk to the river. This one is the DP&L Stuart station.

8. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Are there any public boat ramps in this area on either side of the river?

9. jason454ci

jason454ci Active Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohi
  10. Delisleba

Delisleba New Member

State:
    Ohio
    ranger4u Yes there are many public boat ramps in the area. the one in maysville charges a few bucks i think something like 3 dollars. There is a free one in Aberdeen. So when you coming up maybe i can get you some bait if you have room on the boat. I have never fished the river from a boat i would love to meet a new catfishing buddy. either way i still would help with any info i can.

11. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Hey Hey, my name got mentioned in that article...Matt McKinney. Thats cool..Thats Jason

12. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Well the Markland Pool is a 91 mile stretch of the river, so cincy does sit on the markland pool, but you can catch blues anywhere in the markland pool...New Richmond, Neville, Cincy, Rising Sun, Aurora, the whole 90 some mile stretch is a good chance for a nice blue. Downtown cincy is just a small part of the markland pool...Good luck..I will be out there tommorow, river is in decent shape, and we finally have some current.

13. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

I meant to say THANKS Jason.:confused2:

14. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Delisleba, Thanks again for your help. I will keep you informed of when I come down to go fishing. I'm not exactly sure of a timeframe, I'll be watching the long-term forecast as it gets closer and try to pick some days when the sun is expected to be out!

15. brother hilljack

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Could you give me specifics on what "article" we are talking about?

16. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr

Jason posted a link on this thread on page 1 of the tread...Click on the link and the article will come up for you to read.

17. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    There is a power plant in lawrenceburg indiana which is right off of I-275 that has some real good water for some real nice blues. There are many warm water discharges that make for amazing winter fishing. Not to mention there is a ramp up in Tanner's Creek which the mouth dumps out right next to the plant. It's real easy to get to. And I always have very good luck there during the colder times in catching nice fish. Not to mention with all of those warm water discharges, the Skipjack are easier to come by then because of that