Ohio river bank fishing

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by Eric86, Oct 1, 2019.

1. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    I guess ill make this my thread to post my ohio river bank fishing outings. I went for several hours yesterday at the Kentucky side of the newburgh dam.

The damn wall had large boulders and rip rap size rocks and i was probably 350 yards from the actual bank. I had several runners with no hookups. At least a couple times the shad head had a small cleanly severed chunk out of it that looked like a tiny shark got ahold of it. Im guessing a turtle? I broke my line at least 8 times and lost all my bigger hooks and heavy sinkers.

It was a long hard walk back to the car which is why i stayed so long. Had to work up the motivation to do it. While i was sitting there i restrung 2 rods to 40lb mono and took the centrifugal breaks off both ming yangs.

I dont believe i will be going back to that spot. The hard walk with all the break offs really killed any all the fun of it.

SHOWME and eastforker like this.
  2. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    590192229.jpg
    I was on the far left next to the tall gates of the dam. When they let water out my 8 oz no rolls didnt stand a chance and had nearly a 100% snag rate.

eastforker likes this.

3. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    Eric, looks like a good spot but it also looks like what you found. A spot to lose a lot of gear and spend a lot of time re-rigging. I am sure the water is swift there but would a big enough float to keep the bait up off the bottom yet enough weight to keep the bait down, make any difference? Might be able to let a little line out at a time and let the bait move down stream a couple yards at a time. somewhat like bottom bouncing but suspended.

Just a thought.

SteveMcK and Tommy Dean like this.
  4. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    A float may help but at the same time it would most likely be one more piece of gear to lose. I have no doubt there are big cats there a long with a lot of stripers but that spot from the bank just doesnt seem worth it. Also as you know we havent had much rain in weeks so the current is as slow as it gets so most other times it will be worse. I have another spot i want to give a shot before i go back there.

twaskom likes this.
  5. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    Also i did have one float out and the dam creates a huge eddy pushing water back in to inlet. My bobber ended up moving back to the bank there and had to be recasted frequently. I did however get s bite on it and i missed it.

6. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Eric that is a nice looking spot to fish.
    I do like fishing where the water is going back toward the dam.
    Sometimes fish will hole up there just waiting on food to come to them.

7. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    There were a lot of baitfish jumping at our feet frequently and it is also a good spot to catch skipjack. How would you fish it on bottom?

8. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Only way to fish bottom in heavy dam structure that I know of, is to be prepared to lose every sinker you throw. They key is your rig, a three way or Kentucky rig that has a light weight line that connects your sinker and is breakable will help. If using a three way rig, make sure the lead going to your hook has a good sized peg float on it to keep it off the bottom.

eastforker and Eric86 like this.
  9. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    I didnt even think about a 3 way. I have some swivels in my tackle box but i didnt have any floats.

typer181 likes this.
  10. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    Im also close enough to the wabash river to venture out there. What are your thoughs on how good that river is. Also do you like inside or outside bends? I found a decent outside bend on the maps that i can drive right up to.

11. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
  12. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
  13. twaskom

twaskom Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Tom
    The Wabash in that area should be good for all three species Eric. It is big enough and not far from joining the bigger river so I would certainly give it a try. I generally like outside bends and just on the upstream side of them if possible. My thoughts are that fish will like the deeper water usually in an outside bend and head up current to feed.

A three way would be a good rig for the area around the dam. The 3 inch styrofoam peg floats are cheap but you can also go to Wally World and get small round balloons. Blow them up to the size of a golf ball or smaller.

Use lighter line for the sinker leader and maybe find something other than expensive lead as a weight. Maybe a railroad spike.

Have your rod secured well. Big cats will steal them.

tight lines

treddinwater likes this.
  14. eastforker

eastforker Well-Known Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Stacee
    Eric is correct you may have to sacrifice some tackle especially sinkers.

I always have problems reeling in over top of snags.
    It's not so bad with the higher ratio reels but with the Abu it's a happens more often.
    I attached some galvanized wire that is fairly easy to bend to my 3 way to put sinkers on. The sinker suppose to pull free when snagged but after a few bends the no roll doesn't come off anymore. So I just leave the wire straight out from the sinker so it doesn't fall in between rocks as bad and can reel it right over the top of snags. I guess it is like a dragging or drifting weight. If my hook is getting snagged I use a small float and a 6 inch leader to my hook.
    IMG_20190924_091557883.jpg

If your fishing the right spot your float will go in the current and then off to the side and then right back up to the dam and then repeat. If your sinker gets snagged or the current will make the float go under just keep your pole locked down and wait for it to go down. It can be a lot of work.
    I can only fish with one float at a time Quite often the current will take it on down the river and you will have to cast it back out many times.

typer181 and Jesus Saves like this.
  15. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State:
    Indiana
    Name:
    Eric
    Im going to head out tonight around 8 to a new spot i checked out a few weeks ago. It really doesnt have anything eye catching but its easy to get to and shouldnt have many snags. Not sure what the current looks like but my biggest sinker on hand is 4oz after the dam.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2019
    typer181 and eastforker like this.
  16. WhiskerSeeker76

WhiskerSeeker76 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    Name:
    Kelly
    You live near Evansville?

17. Eric86

Eric86 Member

State: