Ohio River Bank Fishing

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by SURFPREP, Sep 25, 2009.

1. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Looking at buying an Abu Garcia 6500TC and need some advice.

I bank fish the Ohio River near Cincinnati. Don't catch the monsters I would like, largest about 8 pounds. But being an optimist, I know I will hook onto a flat one of these days and I want to be prepared.

Any suggestion on what is the best line, mono or braid, for bank fishing.

Any suggestions on what pound test to use.

Any suggesionts on leader pound test.

Thanks,

2. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Majority of my August/September/And October bank fishing has/will be the Ohio River. I use 30 LB PLine Fluorescent Green monafilament line. I use an Abu Garcia 6500 C4 and Abu Garcia 7000iCS Pro Rocket, both attached to 7" Tiger Rods.

My leader is usually 25 - 30 Big Game Moss Green.

I've had 0 problems with losing fish with 30 LB line. I think it's more than plenty.

The best thing I've done to help my bank fishing on the Ohio was made homemade rod holders. Cost me about $1.37 a holder, and they WILL NOT move when the rod is slammed. It's nearly doubled my hookup ratio.

3. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    How much 30 Lb line will your 6500 hold?

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not very much. 100 - 125 yards or so.
    I've had a few fish run good on the 6500 and I've never came close to worrying about the line. I have changed it out twice this year so far. I lose a lot of it from snags.

I'm not a braid fan, otherwise it'd have 65 LB power pro on it.

5. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio

Last edited: Sep 26, 2009
  6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Kip is right.
    I know where you can get a brand new 7000iCS for $120 if you're interested. Personally, these reels are absolutely amazing - especially for us bank fisherman. I won't get another reel.

I also know where a "like new" one is selling for $80 locally. I was going to buy it, but a $750 truck engine set me back on the tackle money a bit. :smile2:

7. SURFPREP

SURFPREP New Member

State:
    KY
    Thanks, for the info on the 7000. I jumped on your advise in the first email and found a 6500 TC for $75.00. Looking forward to getting it.

Good luck.

8. fredrick

fredrick New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I use 6500's for all my ohio river fishing but I use Spider Wire Stealth in 50lb.This lets me put about 270 yards of line. It cast as smooth as silk and doesn't pull down into the spool. I love it wouldn't use any thing else.