Ohio RIver April 4, 09

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Apr 4, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

Northern KY
    Went out today on the big O, river was pushing pretty hard and had a surface temp during the afternoon of 53 degrees. The water was the color of coffee with cream, however the shad were going nuts all over the place, I managed to net about 200 and get them vac packed and froze. I did find all little clearer water way back off the river and caught a black drum on a swim bait...go figure. I would imagine we are looking at least a week before the water acts like it wants to start clearing up, and that's with no more rain.

2. kevins

kevins New Member

Louisville, KY
    I went to the falls of the ohio yesterday and the water was real fast, they have the 2 primary gates open almost all the way and the other 2 half open.

I tried fishing in a pool of water that was between the downstream and upstream flows but even there I had to use 6 oz of weight to try to keep it still.

I fished cut frozen skipjack but no luck, I then moved into the submerged trees and used shad gut and caught 3 channels around 3-4 lbs each.

I knew the channels would be there, they normally are when the water is around 31 feet and sometimes I catch 10-15lb flatheads there using frozen tiger shrimp. I wish I had some with me.

Here is a pic of one of them, sorry for the poor photo but I was grabbing my iphone when dodging wave surge. This was the smaller one. It was good times. lol

Attached Files: