Ohio River again tomorrow.

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by ohio hilljack, Dec 25, 2008.

1. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Drew and I am going to the Ohio again tomorrow to try and catch a big blue. I hope we get these things figured out some day. Going to New Richmond where the gathering was. Any of you experts have any tips to get me on some fish. Should I go up or down river , the dam or the bridge?

2. brotherknothead

brotherknothead New Member

State:
    Ft Campbell, KY
    Hey there hilljack, are you kin to brother hilljack if so may you catch more fish then he does. Well, good luck to you on the Ohio river. I am still waiting for my chance to fish it.

3. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    That be my brother but he's stayin with the wife tomorrow, so we will catch more than him tomorrow for sure. But when he comes back down there hes gonna start kicking our butts again.

4. CountryHart

CountryHart New Member

State:
    missouri
    Not tryin to butt-in but your brother is a fine fellow in my opinion. Nice guy

5. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    All us Hilljacks are nice people ,comes from being humbled on the water so much..

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    current will be rockin, find humps or something that will be a current break. I wouldnt recommend fishing where there is no current though. Just not where the fish would be sitting out fighting the current. with current like we have on the big o right now in my opinion there not gonna just sit out in open current and fight it. This worked last week when me and my uncle went. Caught several fish and biggest was 45lbs. Hope this helps. We are also headed out tomorrow on The river. Be prepared to clean off the ramp where you put in at. It could be really nasty with trash, logs and such. Looked at 2 diff ramps today. They are both gonna need to be cleaned off before a boat can be backed in but we do it all the time. Were used to it.

7. ohio hilljack

ohio hilljack New Member

State:
    ohio
    Thank you sir. I'm not really used to fishing the Ohio ,would the old lock and dam below New Richmond provide the proper break or should I hunt for some thing more substantial

8. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    You know, Im just gonna be honest with ya.... My uncle and I have fished blown up dams several times and we have never really had much success around them... EVER. That doesnt mean fish don't associate with those types of spots though. All the fishing shows always say "blown up dams are a catfish hotspot". I cant honestly say that I remember fishing a blown up dam when there was this much current though either. The current is gonna be humpin. My preference is to be in somewhere between 30-45 feet of water when fishing for blues. Seems like we get our big ones in the deeper water. If you can find humps or evan something that resembles a tree rootball or just something for the fish to duck behind ever so often to get a little break from fighting the current. None of the "good" blues we have caught in the past few months have come out of water any shallower than 30 feet and yes we have tried shallower water but just didnt produce. I myself would rather see a nice "roller coaster" bottom as to see anything. If you mark fish in or around these types of humps, try for them. Anchor upstream from where you marked them and cast back to them. Man Im no expert, to be honest, until we finally got some current in the past month we couldnt buy a fish. With the colder water temps and finally some current it seems like we do pretty well for them. Our past several fishing trips have been good ones. Hope this helps. By the way, A current break can be very small. Lets just use a small tree root ball for instance. All it takes is for the object to be big enough for a fish to get behind ever so often and take a little breather.

9. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi

Excellent info brother!

Hey Willie any luck out their yesterday?

10. brew1961

brew1961 New Member

State:
    West Virgi
    I fish the Ohio, Right now we have gotten lots of rain the river and creeks are really high and muddy. "lot of current" can you catch catfish in this stuff? Sorry Bass fisherman turned Hawg Hunter. LOL Thanks, Tim

11. repoman3809

repoman3809 New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    Yea...blues anyway, waters too cold for the flats. Blues seem to thrive in strong current. Though you do want to focus on current breaks/structure.

12. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    That is not a dumb question my friend. 3 years ago I would have told anyone who said you could catch cats in this crazy strong current they were out of there mind!!! come to find out in the cold months when the water temp is dipping even into the 30's the blues love it. Especially when there is current. Pretty hard to bank fish if the current is racing like this and if going out in a boat it is definetly a 2 man operation. Anyways, Last week we went out and caught several fish and the biggest being a 45lb blue but yesterday we went and got skunked! Wasnt a very good day at all. Lots of garbage floating in the water and last week the water was up but with not so much garbage. Repoman was right, in my mind current is the key for winter time blues anyways. those fish can't fight current all day long so find something that breaks it.