Ohio River 8-9-09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Aug 10, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got out on the river for a morning fishing trip yesterday. I wanted to get out before the heat and pleasure boaters. The river was as calm as could be in the morning and there was not much current. I drifted at first and landed about 5 blues 4 in the 8-10lb range and one really small guy. Tried to anchor up later when the wind really picked up and caught some channels around 5lbs. Went up the Great Miami River to get away from the wind and fished a log jam. Picked up a couple smaller flats and some more channels. That is when I got a small surprise, a 3lb striper. This wasn't the first time I caught them fishing for cats but then the real surprise came ... 3 more stripers LOL. They were all through this log jam. Ended up catching 4 stripsers on cut shad biggest being a bit over 5lbs. Man those fish fight! It was a fun day out on the river!

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Sounds like you had one great time there Niko. Thanks for the post an congrats on the good catch. Nothing better then the rods bending an not sitting there.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I should add something I learned when out there. I had an abu garcia 7500c3 that I had just got working. I put it on a catmaxx pole and headed out. Caught a fish on it and thought this just might be a good combo. So I was messing around with it and noticed one of my poles hit a snag. I put my pole down for just one second ... I'm sure you can see where this is going ... look over and this pole is flying over the side of the boat as fast as possible. Be careful with your poles:angry:

4. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Yea been there for sure almost lost one other night.

5. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Thats a bummer man...:embarassed:

6. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    honestly pound for pound there is not a better fighting fish in the river as far as im concerned. 5lbr was prolly a hell of a fight. Sounds like you had a pretty good day actually. No hogs but sounds like your not scared to move around and try diff. things. Thats what makes a good cat fisherman in my opinion. Can't just anchor up and fish all the time. Gotta mix it up!!! :wink:

7. JKeeney20

JKeeney20 New Member

State:
    Lucasville, Ohio
    Flashbacks---I was fishing pre-spawn this year on the OR and was docking the boat...I thought ahh why not, so I threw my pole out ($150 outfit). As soon as I walked to the front of the boat I heard a thump and off it went...all in about .0001 seconds. Never the less, I had 6 driftmaster rod holders in my boat the next trip out.