Ohio River 8/3/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Aug 4, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Went out last night to the Ohio for a few hours. Bait was hard to come by and this was the first time I ever have not caught a single shad in my spot. Luckily I did catch one large mooneye and a few small skipjacks. Most of the fish came off that mooney, probably ended with 5 fish off that one fish cut up. The first spot I tried was dead so I moved to a flooded out bank and got a few nice channels. Moved to another spot and got on some descent fish. Probably caught about 8 yesterday with the largest being 18lb Blue and the smallest a 12oz Blue. The small one was so cute I wanted to take him home and make him a pet. LOL

Didn't take too many pictures but here are a couple you guys might enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Thanks you for the post Niko. You did really good for such a small amount of bait wow. Some very nice fish caught there that's for sure. Congrats on the catch an many thanks for the post an river update!

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Thanks for the report, and congrats on doing so well with limited bait. May be going out tonight with BOC Member ProStreetS10, if the weather subsides. Bet there will be more trash and trees in the river....oh fun :smile2:. If we go out, might as well call ourselves team Yee Haw....I think i have a screw loose :smile2:

4. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on some nice fish. Keep em coming

5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I went out last Friday and I had never seen so many trees and debris in the water before. It pretty much turned me off from fishing this weekend. When you can look around the boat and see 5 trees over 15' long at one time it is just too much of a pain. Friday I would get anchored up and then a tree would come down and hit the anchor line and send me down river. Yesterday there was a lot less debris, there was still current but not as much as Friday. If you go I would check out some creek mouths and river mouths. They seem to be on fire after a good rain!

6. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    I went out saturday night and it was every bit just as bad I would say. Saw a lot of full sized trees. Tried to fish the Little Miami that night to get out of the crap and to test our luck but fog rolled in. Basically the best bet is to find a feeder river or creek or to find a nice current break out of the trashline. Thanks for the tips Niko:big_smile:

7. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    That wasn't fog. More like death blowing smoke in our faces. :smile2::smile2:
    Never seen that crap so thick.

Nice report Niko! :tounge_out:

8. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    I hear ya,
    We went out saturday and parts of the river looked like you could have walked on the surface there was so much junk. We fished really close to the bank in slack water areas and didn't have too much trouble with the debris. Seemed like the fish liked those areas too.
    Sounds like you had a real good outing...W

9. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    congrats on the fish