Ohio River 8/18/9

Discussion in 'KENTUCKY RIVERS TALK' started by bnt55, Aug 20, 2009.

1. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Forgot to post up my river report so, here she is. Put in at the usual spot in Petersburg around 11 am on Tues wind was kickin pretty good and the river was running pretty nicely with a moderate clarity. Ran over to Tanners Creek to catch bait but they werent there or at least my net couldnt find them, so down to the GMR I went...one cast into about 6' of water at the mouth and I have all the bait I need for the day. Since I am already at the GMR I run up it to a couple of holes that are around 17-18 ft deep and setup. Right of the bat I am getting hits, however they are the jerky quick hits that gars generally make but whenever I pull the bait back in there are no teeth marks on the shad...hmmmm. So after going through about 6 baits in the first hole I head up to the next and setup again. This hole is around 16' deep and has timber laying around it with a hard bottom thoughout the length. I pickup 3 smaller channels around 4 lbs each with one male channel that has red fins and looks wore the heck out...late spawner? Pull up again and head out into the main river to drift in about 40 ft of water. The river is pushing one direction and the wind is pushing the opposite so mostly my drifting was stationary however I did pick up a beautiful blue cat around 5 lbs that wound himself around one of my other lines in the process but still fun. At this point it was getting towards late afternoon/evening and I decided to use the trolling motor to help the current along and fight the the breeze blowing. In about 30-35 ft of water I got a monster hit, the rod at the back of the boat went slamming down and started pounding, once I got the rod out of the holder I felt the weight of the fish, got excited then nothing....he got off. Well thats it I was done next time out I am using a 3 way rig to drift instead of a carolina rig and I am staying in the 30-35 ft range.

Well that's it will post up again when I get back out, the boat is being retrofitted for a livewell right now so it might be awhile or I might just go out with everything pulled off of the bow...heck it already looks like the hillbilly barge anyway.

Bill

2. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Nice report. We are close, I live in Florence. I have been on the river a handful of times and have done nothing. I just got a boat this year and don't know what I am doing. We might have to get together some time.

Mike

3. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Anytime Mike, I can't promise you that you will see a fish but i can promise a few near misses with some barges, a cold Diet Mountain Dew and a nice cuban cigar!!!:smile2: Other than that you are on your own....

4. TheRegulator

TheRegulator New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I'll take you up on that sometime. I don't know if you go throughout the week or weekends. My boys are into their football season, so weekends are becoming hit or miss. I still have vac days though!:wink: