Ohio River 5/21/09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishdealer04, May 21, 2009.

1. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Well Mark (Salmonid) and myself hit the river again today. This time fishing in Cincinnati. We started off where we left off last Saturday. Catching fish or having take downs in every spot we were at. We caught 9 nice fish today as well as we each lost 2 fish that we hooked up on that absolutley slammed the rods down.
    No blues today but the channels were biting well and the flatheads were absolutley hammering the shad, and one was caught on skipjack. Totals were 3 channels and 6 flatheads, all from about 3 pounds up to the biggest being 22.
    We had a crazy 5 minutes of fishing a barge, got to the spot immediatley I hooked into a nice 6-7 pound flathead, got him in the boat picture taken and released. Then another rod went down, which brought in a nice 7 pound channel, pictured and released. Then after the release another rod went down and this was Marks 22 pound flathead, that hit the bait as soon as it hit the bottom and absolutley buried the rod. Finally got him in the boat and then my rod went down which brought in another 6 pound channel. So now I have my channel laying on the floor of the boat as I am trying to take a picture of Marks 22 pounder, as this is going on Marks other rod gets slammed, the fish hit it so hard that it is now pulling drag as the rod is in the holder!!! I pick it up and try and pull him in, while trying to picture Marks fish...haha that fish ended up getting tangled in some brush or something and was lost.

All fish were CPR'd and it was another great day on the Ohio. I think I might be ruined with having my 2 best outings within a week of each other...I hope the fishing stays this hot, and that I can get into some blues.

Attached Files:

2. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Couple more pictures.

Attached Files:

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Sounds like a great day! Congrats guys...rollo

4. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    Nice!! Were you guys near a grainery by chance? Out of curiosity what was the preferred water depth for the fish? Congrats on the fish, I havent hit the river in forever due to the flooding now that it is down maybe I should reconsider!

Bill

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have to get to the river soon. Congrats guys.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    You guys had an awesome day for sure wow! Congrats to ya!

7. x smokin joe

x smokin joe Well-Known Member

State:
    Monclova,
    Name:
    Joe
    Sounds like a good day of fishing, congrats.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Some nice catches, congrats!!!

9. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Congrats on a great day out on the water guys!!!:cool2:

10. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    We caught the fish from 3 feet of water all the way up to 30 foot of water.

11. Salmonid

Salmonid New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    If your talking about the grainery a few miles downstream from 75 on the Ohio side?? Nope, we were closer to town, I have never done any good there...you???

Salmonid

12. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    never fished it, but have heard good things though. I am hitting gunpowder and big bone tomorrow, hope the crowds stay away....you know what memorial day weekend gets like on the river.:crazy:

13. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    I am hoping we get a little rain tomorrow which should keep some of the crowds off the river. I am going to try and get back on it tomorrow late afternoon/evening when I get off work.

14. RiverKing

RiverKing Active Member

State:
    Yellow Spr