ohio river 5-18-09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by jg_gmc, May 20, 2009.

1. jg_gmc

jg_gmc New Member

State:
    west virginia
    went out bank fishing on the ohio around steubenville area, caught 2 8lb flatties and one super small channel all on fresh cut bluegill.and all on circle hooks(thier new to me), but i did miss a few before i stopped trying to set the hook. although both of the larger flats i hooked almost through the eye with these circle hooks, i thought they were supposed to go to the corner of the mouth. i cut both hooks and ran them through the rest of the way as to not blind them, is anyone else running into this or is it me?

2. Desode

Desode New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Congrats on the fish ! The Flatheads are on the Prowl here where we both live. I have been fishing more towards your way at Rayland this week and I'm catching Flatties every time I go out.

I have had the same problem with circles. I know a lot of people use them but I'll stick with my Khales. I have been trying the new sickle hooks and they are nice. expensive but nice.
    Matt AKA DESODE

3. Lignum

Lignum Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    I have had all my hooks pull right to the jaw hinge, but then again I usually fish in lakes, no current to deal with. I use 8/0 circle sea.

4. 1mickymoo

1mickymoo New Member

State:
    Edgerton, Kansas
    I've got some eye hooks on smaller fish, but not too often. Congrats on the fish.