Ohio River 12/30

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunter24, Dec 30, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Hit the river at around 8 this morning with J Brooks....had more than enough bait for the day within about 10-12 minutes and then began fishing. Fished a variety of depths, and structure.....as well as trying new spots to no avail. :embarassed:. I think the river plummeting from its crest really turned them off. River temp today was around 39-39.5 degrees, and falling fairly quickly. Wind in certain spots was a bear, and brought some heavy chop, but was not awful. Drift was moderate, mostly staying in trash lines but some bigger stuff was floating down the river too.

Three other guys I know who were out today were skunked and another caught 1 small channel. Made me feel a little better knowing i am not just the village idiot.....well I may still be, but gave me an excuse :smile2:.

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    How can you call yourself the village idiot? YOU live in a HUGE city!:smile2: Might wanna consider a STATE name! Just kidding.. I dunno where the hell you are from... LOL!. It's fishing man, and conditions change alot during the winter as you know. Just gotta keep at em! Better luck next trip man! :wink: rollo

3. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    The river has been rough latley. I have not been able to get out as much as I would have liked to. Hopefully next week I can get out some. My buddy was out today and they caught some channels and 3 blues, biggest at around 20 pounds. He said the wind was pretty rough today.

4. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    can't find my thank you button tonight, so im rep ing every one, thank's for the report.

sorry rollo, it said i need to spread rep's around before i can get you again

Last edited: Dec 31, 2009
  5. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    It was good seeing you out there. It was a bit rough. I tried to fish a deep hole right in the current and it was a bad idea. 16oz of weight wasn't keeping my baits down and then sticks would hit it every minute or so. I moved to a flooded creek mouth and got one channel. Either way it was nice to be out!

6. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Most of the spots we fished we came across the problem of having leaves pile up on our lines, had some drift cross lines too. It was frustrating to mark so much fish and none of them be hungry for a piece of bait. :angry: Still glad that we got out, the winter fishing is definitely an experience. Looking forward to doing it again, when the river isn't falling like the stock market anyways. :smile2:

7. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY
    I was another village idiot out yesterday who couldn't find the fish. Hell, I couldn't even mark a fish. I've yet to understand all the hype about winter blues as my experience with it is limited success.

We hit probably 8 different anchor sets - never stayed long in one place b/c no fish were ever marked and with that current they should be aware of your offering pretty quick.

We fished ledges/drops, creek mouths, holes, flats, humps, inside/outside bends and bottom bumped several barges/bridges just looking for a pattern and never got a bite. We covered water anywhere from 20-60ft deep and all current ranges.

I thought it would be on fire too.:eek:oooh:

We had fresh shad and frozen jacks presented in all varieties of sizes and methods I could think of.

The only thing that was easy was the shad. Two throws and done with several over 12 inches.

This trip reminded me why I striper fish in the winter..:smile2:

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Where did you launch from?
    And yeah, I was always told winter catfishing is the best time to go .. but I haven't seen any great reports yet.

The potential is definitely there, but the river conditions still make a factor in winter more than I thought they would.

9. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    To be honest I never have luck any time of year when the river is like that. Personally I like to drift fish the best so a slower river is better for me. Some current is ok but if it takes over 8oz to keep your bait down I never have much luck.

10. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Yeah I was in a world of hurt yesterday, only had 5 ounce no rolls. :smile2:

11. Catfish_Rob

Catfish_Rob New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, OHIO
    Yeah, again, I apologize I couldn't go with ya this morning. I think I would have rather gone fishing than go to the funeral where I knew nobody. It definitely sucks you got skunked. I can imagine the weather, river levels, and temperature changes have been making the fish do weird things. I start class again this week, but I may try to get out there and fish a little more. It may be the end of the season for me here shortly because I am running out of money to fund my fishing/drinking habits.

12. TheRiverRat

TheRiverRat New Member

State:
    Hamilton,Ohio
    Sounds like you had a nice trip........RAT