Ohio River 11.1.09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishdealer04, Nov 1, 2009.

1. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati
    Hit the river with Mark (Salmonid) today. Went to the public landing today and the water was rolling pretty fast over the concrete slabs so we headed up to Schmidt. The dock was under water but it blocked the current so it was easy to launch. We worked our way through all the drift and the fog and got bait. After getting bait the fog had actually gotten worse and there was very limited visability out. Ended up clearing up and it turned out to be a very nice day out.

I started the day off with a 7 pound channel, then moved to another spot and Mark caught a 6 pound flathead. Then I got a 1 pound flathead and another 7 pound channel.

Moved to another spot and Mark picked up 2 more channels and a nice 6 pound hybrid striper on a shad head.

Moved to the next spot and this is where things got good. Not even 5 minutes at this spot Marks rod gets buried and drag is being ripped off. After a nice fight we see and net a nice 21 pound blue cat. Couple minutes after that another rod gets buried another nice fish on, but then gets off where the hook came off somehow. About 10 minutes after that my rod gets buried and as soon as I pick it up, the fish takes off about 15-20 feet of drag, ended up being a very healthy 14 pound blue.

We fished a lot of new water today including the spot where we caught the blues.

We both got the catfish trifecta which is always nice.

It was a good day.

Pictures of the blues and the hybrid are attached.

Attached Files:

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Nice day on the river.... looks like I'd better keep the boat and rods out a bit.... after the leaves clear out we will try some more!

3. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    nice going guys, was all new water to me today.

4. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    very nice day guys! thanks for the report and pics!

5. beetle

beetle New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Way to go guys!:big_smile:
    Looks like you had plenty of action.

6. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    Brian nice outing congrats.

7. catcrazed

catcrazed New Member

State:
    ohio
    did you guys try to get out of the current or stay in it??? The reason why I ask is because you guys must have been doing something right. Just out of curiousity what type of depths were you fellas fishin??

8. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Glad you guys got on some fish, we couldn't do squat! I am taking a week off and relaxing some...Looks like there is no way out of me sitting the tourney out Saturday, would get wooped anyway! LMAO Wish I could make it but it's just not worth an angry wife at the house...:confused2:...Thinking about selling the boat all together and getting something different. May be a good time for me to do so, just kind of getting burned out on fishing which I didn't think was possible..:eek:oooh:..Maybe a different boat to rip apart will do the trick!:smile2:

9. fishdealer04

fishdealer04 Member

State:
    Cincinnati

Fished the current all day long. Depths were from right on the bank to about 35 feet.

10. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    Nice job brian, and thanks for the tip that day we fished hours with not even a bite then used your advice and got on a few within minutes!

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i tried that this summer didn't work for me , got the new boat and still couldn't catch nothin, just kept at it and finally got my three pb all in one night since then i've done pretty well only been skunked once or twice. if get a get another boat ,get a fiberglass boat it will keep you real busy and it's fun,scratch,itch,ictch,scratch.:big_smile::big_smile: good luck trav.

12. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    No fiberglass for me, I put to many holes in my boats adding and re adding rod holders...lol...I like aluminum alot better, can beat it up without worry...lol...Mine may be up for sale within a week...:wink:

13. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    wish i could buy it but mine may be up for sale as well