ohio river 10-12-09

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by fishmonster13, Oct 12, 2009.

1. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    went out today with colsrob. left the public landing around 7;30 , picked up some bait at mill creek and the hit our first spot and nothing so we moved down river near anderson ferry and still nothing at least had acouple of bites. so we moved down river and hit another spot where we had a cuople of hits and fianly brought in an 6lb blue and then nothing moved on down river had a cuople of bites there , so we went across river and decided to drift past some barges and on the first pass i picked up an 8 lb blue and almost imiediatly after robs rod got slammed and damn near took off with his rod and my rod holder by an 11lb blue . wemade another pass through the same area and i picked up a 16lb blue and that was about the end of the day. the three we cought drifting were all caught in about 40 ft of water ckraked up about 8 foot of the bottom. pretty decent day:big_smile::big_smile::big_smile::big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    and one more pic . heres you avatar pic rob:big_smile:

Attached Files:

3. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    Glad to see you had a good trip. Thank's for the pics.

4. varmint_sniper

varmint_sniper New Member

State:
    OHIO
    love the spinning reel guys :big_smile: how did she handle?

5. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    congrats guys on a good day. how much trolling motor did u have to use??

6. Steph

Steph New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohi
    good job :cool2:

7. hawgmaster

hawgmaster New Member

State:
    SE columbu
    congrats on the good time!! im going out with rob sunday hope we have the same luck.

8. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    didn't use any trolling motor but I couldve if I had one

9. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good job guys. :cool2:

10. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    You need to talk to Matt about the spinners...they were all his.:big_smile:

I use Baitcasters only.:wink:

He did catch the big fish of the day though. 16lb Blue. As a matter of fact, all we landed were blues.

11. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It was an outstanding trip. Catching fish was actually just a bonus. It was great to finally meet up with another BOC memeber, and Matt was a terrific host.

I do believe some Monster Rod Holders are needed though.:smile2: While my new Ming reels are inexpensive, I really didn't want to see it lost to the river. That Blue hit so hard and fast, he almost got away with a prize.

Oddly enough, we were both overdressed. Leaving the dock aroud 7:00am, we planned for some fairly cold weather. It wasn't bad at all, and quickly warmed up even more. Especially when the sun finally peeked through the cloud cover.

I would have replied back last night, but after 2hrs drive each way, 12 hrs on the water, and only having 1hr sleep the night before, it finally caught up with me. I was in sleepy-land quite ealry last night. Wasn't home for long when I went out in front of the tube.:big_smile:

Thanks a bunch for invite Matt. It was a great time, we actually cought some fish, and it was a pleasure to meet you. Absolutely something I would do again.

12. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    I can't promise any fish Chris, unfortunately.:big_smile:

The only fish we caught were Blues, and the Muskingum doesn't have them...as far as I know.

It was my first time drifting, and while it was fun and productive, i'm not sure how the results would be in Zanesville. I'm willing to give it shot though, if the bottom isn't producing. Although, I do not have rod holds in my boat yet and it's not very condusive for drifting. It's not impossible though...just not the most prefered.

Then again, if we can't seem to find fish on the River, we can always head back to Dillon and try drifting there. I know I have seen members post about success with that. We can decide on the fly.:big_smile:

13. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    It is kind of small and now people will probably complain that they can't really see me. :smile2:

Thanks for trip...and the avatar pick, Matt.:wink:

Oh, Matt, you forgot to tell people how much good luck I bring. You usually get skunked when bringing members on trips, even though they catch fish. I helped change that luck for you.:smile2:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  14. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Yeah, a trolling motor would have been nice, although we managed without one. It was mainly needed to keep on track and away from drifting to shore.

I took my GPS with us and we were able to check our drift speed. We started out at .4/.5mph, and later when the wind picked up a bit, it only increased to .8. Blowing off us off line and towards shore was the only really issue that we had...and that was a small issue at that.

15. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Matt, do you want to tell the others about your frist attempt to use a baitcaster, or should I?:big_smile:

I can borrow a camera and get some pics to post the evidence, if you like?!:smile2:

16. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i think i'll stick to spinners , they don't do that. i'd much rather spend my time fighting fish and not a birdsnest:smile2:

17. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good job Matt, I will be out Sunday with a chip on my shoulder, a bunch of bad outings in a row...lol Gonna throw everything I have at them, it's on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:cool2:...Sorry to use your thread to take out my frustrations....:smile2::wink:

18. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Hey, how did you get your avatar pic to that size? Me thinks I have done something wrong.:big_smile: Same trip, same "camera"..not same size! Give up your secret please.:wink:

Oh, and don't let your first attempt scare you away. I'm tellin' ya, as will others, if you get the hang of the Baitcaster, you will not want to use anything else.

Also, what birdnest were you fighting with?:smile2:

Last edited: Oct 13, 2009
  19. Colsrob

Colsrob Active Member

State:
    Ohio, Columbus
    Travis, does your sponsership with Monster Rod Holders allow you enough that you could send some to Matt?:smile2:

20. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i had the same problem i hadn't caught a fish since i ferried skippie2use across tanners to his boat , i think he gave me some bad luck, but i think i washed it away when i lost my lucky fishing hat in the water.:wink::smile2: i'll be out as well sunday and saturday afternoon