Ohio River 10-10-09 Best day of the year!

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by kitsinni, Oct 11, 2009.

1. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Got out on the river with the dog for a fishing trip yesterday. The trip started off a bit rough. Spent the first few hours trying to get a fish with no luck. I finally checked my bait and both poles had gar marks on the bait so I figured time to head to a different part of the river. Packed up and headed up river. That is when the day turned completely around.

First fish hooked went 21lbs then right after pulled in a 25. About half an hour later got a 21 and a 16 back to back. Decided I had got my fair share out of that spot and decided to drift a bit. Not 5 minutes in to my drift and my rod looks like it is going to break it is bent so far. I figured it was hung since I just put it down but no it was a fish! That fish fought harder than anything I have ever caught. I didn't think she was going to come up at all. Finally get this fish to the boat and I'm solo so I have the pole in one hand and net in the other, get the fish right tot he net and ... it isn't fitting! I'm fishing a two hook rig here and one hook is in the net the other in the fish and the fish just rolled out of the net ... ACK! So being the maniac I am I fell to my knees and shoved my hand in that fishes mouth and held on for my life. After about three rolls and a shredded hand this 38lb blue was on the floor of my boat. I look at my hand and it is completely covered in blood lol. I figure poor fish is bleeding good, wash off my hand and nope that is my blood .. oh well. Ended up with two more fish a 6 and a 4. All fish were blues and all released alive and happy to spawn again. This was the kind of day you live for!

Attached Files:

2. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    A couple more pics.

Attached Files:

3. adamj

adamj New Member

State:
    buckeye land
    That's how it's done, get shredded hands to catch the big boy! Thanks for sharing a good night.

4. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great day Niko! :cool2:

5. cats gone wild

cats gone wild Member

State:
    canal winchester, ohio
    That's a great outing. Thank's for the pics of those nice fish.

6. tbull

tbull New Member

State:
    SW Ohio
    Good job, we caught 7 a couple hours before dark, after the sun went down though so did the bite, Nothing. Guess we got to the water to late, looks like the night time bite is history for the year...:confused2:

7. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    i must have left before they started biting ,my last spot i ended up snaging 4 of my 5 rods. at least i managed to get one leader including sinker back, it was still on there held on by a bunch of grass:angry: im going out this afternoon and then tomorrow with colsrob so hopefully i can get on some fish:big_smile:

8. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good job Niko!
    What depths were you fishing?
    I had an "old wise fisherman" tell me the other night that night time bite turns off when it's this cold, and the fish hang in shallower waters to soak up the sun light. :tounge_out:

9. shadguts

shadguts New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Congrats on a great trip.

10. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Mostly from 25-40' I did a lot of drifting baits under barges that is where most of my fish came from.

Not sure if the night bite turns off with the cold but I sure do. I much prefer day fishing in cold weather.

11. fishmonster13

fishmonster13 New Member

State:
    cincinnati,ohio
    were you on a pontoon just east of riverside?

12. Kat-addict

Kat-addict New Member

State:
    ohio
    Nice job on the fish and an even nicer job with the self pics ! Your right....thats the kinda days that keep you coming back !

13. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I have a 16' Deep V so that was not me.

14. bnt55

bnt55 New Member

State:
    Northern KY
    ahhhh, catfish revenge! I was wondering when the cats were going to start biting the fishermen.:wink:

Good job on finding them....I might have to get me boat out.

15. catfishDK

catfishDK New Member

State:
    cincinnati OH
    Yea i got out at riverside about 5 got some shad and caught a few mooneye and started fishing about 7 we only got 4 fish 3 channels a 1 blue all under 12lbs and left at midnight, im done with night time it just has got cold too quick!! But water temp was reading 65

16. catfishfearme

catfishfearme New Member

State:
    govecity,ohio
    wtg, glad to hear you won the match :big_smile::wink:

17. carolinakid76

carolinakid76 New Member

State:
    oklahoma
    nice fish bro!!:big_smile: