Ohio River 08/24-08/25

Discussion in 'OHIO RIVERS TALK' started by CatHunter24, Aug 25, 2009.

1. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio
    Took my buddy Brian out last night, the guy has been into catfishing for channels for about a year but never has gotten out on the river to target bigger catfish and has never caught a flathead or a blue. The day/night started out poorly, with my starting battery having broken the holder it was in at the rear of the boat and having leaked out all its water and acid. Has to flush the boat, and then buy and install another one. Forgot something had to swing back to the house etc.....finally got to the river. Good thing of the night was bait was easier to find than i expected with the river being low. Got a good amount of shad and headed out. THe water temp was running right around 80.5 degrees most of the night, not a lick of current in most places and a light variable wind. Landed our first fish about 11:30, Brian caught him around a 5 lb channel, guesstimating it because I couldnt find the spring scale at the time. Around 12:30 or so Brians rod bent over in a C Shape and started peeling drag, but when he picked it up out of the holder the fish was off. Last fish of the night was around 1:40, Brian caught himself a hard fighting 12 lb flathead, this one was weighed as i finally found my scale after not having it the first go around. About this time we had to start heading back, fog was rolling in so thick in some spots I could barely see. I took a personal skunking for the night, but it was a good to get my buddy on some fish, he is a lot more enthusiastic now and is talking about joining the BOC. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Slatebar

Slatebar New Member

State:
    ohio
    Congrats on the fishyour buddy caught. Sometimes a skunking is not so bad if a friend makes a good score tho. . To bad about the probs you had. Not to be a smart A## but you may want to wet the area and dump a couple boxes of Arm & Hammer Baking Soda in the area where the battery acid touched. Especially if it is an alumninum boat. I had a problem like that once and found out the hard way that the water just won't seem to dilute all the acid. :angry:

3. CatHunter24

CatHunter24 New Member

State:
    Dayton, Ohio

Yeah i flushed it pretty good, and I planned on pouring some baking soda down there to neutralize it.....can't hurt anything anyhow. Thanks for the advice :big_smile:

4. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Good job on putting him into some fish.
    I don't mind taking a skunking myself, I love it when new guys get into a fish.
    I've been trying so hard to put Doug into a flathead, but apparently they moved out of the GMR. :smile2: Caught a whopper channel though.